PDA

View Full Version : OK not the best day cellar hole hunting

coinnut
10-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Went out with Del and Cab for some fun cellar hole hunting. You know, the kind of days that produce 10 coppers and lots of silver:huh: :cheesysmile: Well it didn't really turn out that way :( Rough hunt, designed to teach us a lesson :grin: I was saved by our button site, otherwise I would have a blank picture to post. We have to rethink our stratigies for next weekend ;) But it was really warm today, so it was an exercise day. Here's the meager finds.

marchas45
10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Some cool looking buttons there coinnut, sometimes butons are better than coins. thumbsup01

bmattioli
10-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey, ya got out on this nice warm New England day and those are some good looking finds. Next time on the Coppers!

Bruce

angellionel
10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
It was a beautiful day, definitely one for heading out to detect. thumbsup01

The old buttons are cool. I'm sure it was a fun hunt even if the coppers didn't show up this time.

OkieDigger
10-31-2009, 06:22 PM
If the weather there was anything as nice as the weather here, then you wouldn't have had to find anything to have a good time! Nice buttons.

SeabeeRon
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Still hitting the buttons I see! WTG!

coinnut
10-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Still hitting the buttons I see! WTG!

We hit that site first so we wouldn't get skunked today :grin: It's a large area and always good for a dozen buttons. I think they used to have button wars there :cheesysmile: Can't imagine how they could lose so many buttons.

Bentfork
10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Relics. Yummy!

Since you're a cellar hunter and I've done very little of that I have a question. Are you guys finding these at the cellar entrance or what would have been the floor. I'm assuming it's at the entrance. What's the story?

Gary

coinnut
10-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Relics. Yummy!

Since you're a cellar hunter and I've done very little of that I have a question. Are you guys finding these at the cellar entrance or what would have been the floor. I'm assuming it's at the entrance. What's the story?

Gary

We find most of the items outside of the actual stone lined hole. Somtimes you may get a target inside the hole (that isn't trash, since these holes were often re-used up until 1960's as trash dumps!!!), but more often than not, the holes are signal free. Too many rocks from the chiminey to find anything much inside the hole. Around the outside of the hole, on all four sides are banks of dirt. These contain most of the items, especially if the house burned down, and was rebuilt. The ash from the burnt home was removed by bucket, and sorta hand sifted for large silver and valuables that could be salvaged. The ash was then thrown out around the vicinity of the hole. Coins and buttons often escaped detection. Bad part is, every nail that held that house together was dumped outside of the hole too :grin: So that's the short version on cellar hole hunting. Tune in next week for part II ;)

MNDigger
10-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice looking hunt! I would take buttons like that any day!

coinnut
10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Come on Del....... Stop eating that trick or treat candy and post your unbelievable finds!!!! :grin: Inquiring minds want (need) to know ;)

del
10-31-2009, 08:41 PM
hey i gotta check those candies real good now ,mmmmm :grin:

wow , beautiful day weather wise but a cold one detecting wise :cheesysmile: :grin: :grin: not alot of targets to begin with .here are a couple of older pictures of the sites , boy do the look different now without all the leaves on the trees. the highlight of my hunt was finding a part of an old colonial shoe buckle that turns out to be a match to the other 1/4 part i found a few weeks back and a match to the chape and tongue part i found about a month back at this same site . now its all together after over 200 years when it broke apart 8). now if it could only talk and tell us the circumstances as to how it broke and who was wearing it . ;) . hey atleast we got some good info on some more potential good sites so next weekend might be a real good weekend.thanks for looking .

Dan

OkieDigger
11-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Now that's pretty cool!

Islandhunter
11-01-2009, 06:59 AM
2 simple little letters on one of those buttons would make ya forget all about not finding any silver....GW!!!!

coinnut
11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
2 simple little letters on one of those buttons would make ya forget all about not finding any silver....GW!!!!

;) Got a few of those, no letters but Eagles count too :grin:

del
11-01-2009, 04:47 PM
;) Got a few of those, no letters but Eagles count too :grin:

yeah George can't read so he only finds the buttons with pictures on them :cheesysmile: :grin:

yup it just takes one find to make your whole day.