PDA

View Full Version : Question about rings.

Bubbalew
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
The last two days have been amazing. Now that I've got a better understanding of what to listen for and what to look for on the display of the Ace 350, Ive pulled in close to 6$ in coins and found 2 mercs and a wheatie. The question I have for you pros is this. Can you find rings and gold in coin mode only? I've been under the impression that rings come up as pull tabs or in that notch vicinity, and that's not exactly what I want to dig. But, with that said, how do you get and dig rings if you are in the pull tab area on the display and tell the difference that it could be a ring and not a tab? :thinkingabout:

del
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
in just the coin mode you might find only the silver and much bigger gold rings like the larger bands and lower karat . you'll be missing the smaller gold and platinum rings and those are more likely to have the diamonds and stones. some machines it might be a little more difficult to tell the gold from the pulltabs but experience can help a lot . theres an old saying that goes if your not digging pulltabs then your missing gold rings .

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Experience does help with the ID of rings, but if you really want to dig every ring your coil passes over you have to dig the tabs. Rings come in so many shapes and sizes, Which means a wide range of VDI numbers.

Epi-hunter
04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
As I said to you in my previous posts... you can't. The responses above say why. Gold is a mid-tone and so are pulltabs. Since there is tons of variability in size of gold rings there is no way ANY detector will be able to distinguish a gold ring from a pull tab. Welcome to the reality of metal detecting ... if you want gold rings, you will need to dig thousands of pull tabs.

In coin mode it will be harder because it notches out the mid-tones and you won't hear them.

carl2112
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
On my AT pro I use pro coin mode and notch in the pull tabs. But I like the tones in coin mode the best and I need to start diggin more pulltabs I'm a newbie and it seems like I'm digging more pennies then anything else