PDA

View Full Version : think i may have a liberty cap large cent

lee
04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
think ive just found a liberty cap large cent in rather good condition.....aint cleaned it yet coz im waiting for del to advise me on cleaning it cos i see on coin book these things are worth money and this one looks early
anyway ill post pics in a bit.....

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
:-> :-> :-> :-> :->

del
04-16-2012, 07:22 PM
hey Lee , post a good clear front and back of the coin and please try to get the color of the coin as acurrate as possible , a photo could help in waht to do next.

Dan

lee
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
give me an hour....im watching top gear...

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Big tease! :interesting:

lee
04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
ok, so this is how it went down.
i got home from work today knowing this is prolly gona be the last time me and larry are gona be able to hit the little bit of land that we have had all the coppers , the half reale and the caped half dime from plus lots of relics before thay grid it off and rent the plots out for the summer.
i met larry at his house and with a grim look on his face he said mate you aint gona like this .
it turns out he thought he would just go down and see if thay had started to lay out the plots and sure enuff there was two guys there from the town when we got there.
after a bit of a chat with them it turns out that as long as we do not move the posts thay would not have a problem with us detecting so off we walk up the field talking about the two crotal bells i have found recently and larry saying i dont know what a crotal bell even looks like........head phones on.....detector on...turn the sensitivity down a tad.... and swing......beep...beep beep....dig 4 inches and out pops a crotal bell................i mean come on.......realy :huh:thinkingabout:?.
after showing it to larry i headed off back down the field only to be accosted by a lady telling me she had just bought this perticular 30ft by 20ft plot that i was just passing over and that she didnt want my foot prints on her mud because before she planted anything there she liked to come down and just look at the fluffyness of the dirt :huh: i laughted and asked her if this was some sort of american joke that english people were not supossed to get ?? :huh:
anyway after walking one step to the left so i was off of her plot i carried on swinging.
2 mins later i got a strong cent signal that turned out to be a toasted ct copper (my 18th for the year all from the same 40 yard plot of land) three steps more and another strong cent signal at about 2 inches and out pops this copper but i could see a bust faceing right and some words fliping it over i could see the one cent wrote in the middle of the coin.
after an hour i found my self in my basement washing it off under cold water and realising that what i had was what i think is a 1793 flowing hair large cent....(hope im right about this coz im gona look a huge idiot if it aint).
i can pick out the 93 in the date but the rest is coverd in green stuff as most of the coin is.
anyway here is some pics , ill get better ones tomorow with a camara that aint like somthing from the land that time forgot.

http://i43.tinypic.com/33ytggm.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hs7y3c.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/13yi0dd.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/21l49ol.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/29gc0e9.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/e9hhqq.jpg

del
04-17-2012, 06:04 AM
hey Lee , i'm not 100% sure but it looks like it may be a draped bust large cent 1796-1807 are you sure the 93 isn't a 98 .

Dan

CODY
04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Nice finds!

aloldstuff
04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Good thing you didn't unfluff that ladies dirt.....very nice early coin...hope it is 1793.

CTDirtFisher
04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
hey Lee , i'm not 100% sure but it looks like it may be a draped bust large cent 1796-1807 are you sure the 93 isn't a 98 .

Dan

I'm sorry to say Dan is right... This is a draped bust... but hey its an early Draped Bust !! :-)

Look at the mass behind her head... In the Draped Bust the mass is right behind the middle of her head...

The CAP is a larger mass and higher up... extending up to right behind LIBERTY...

Tony Two-Cent
04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I agree that it is a draped bust, because of the reasons already mentioned and because of the relationship of the top of her head with the word Liberty.

By all means it is still a great find! :yes:

lee
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
yer....sigh.....i think your right chaps, in the cold light of day it does read 98...........just for a little bit i was dreaming of taking the whole forum out for a right good drink on me....!!!!.
so......cleaning....there is a lot of detail on it and im sure with the right type of cleaning it might come up nice , there is still a lot of raised detail under my finger when i run it across it alltho the pics dont show it that well......how do you guys think i should start ? i have made my self an elyctrolisis machine.... would it be safe to use that and for how long do i keep it in the drink ?

del
04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Lee , electrolysis is a very damaging way of cleaning non ferrous metal and i would only use it as a last resort. i've had good results with the hot peroxide bath and q-tip treatment or sometimes just a wooden toothpick and some coin preserver , or somekind of coin conditioner.

Dan

Snapolson
04-17-2012, 06:55 PM
That's a great find Lee! Please don't clean it! I found my first and only large cent which was also a 1798 draped bust. I cleaned it and ALL the details went away. Enjoy it the way it is. IMHO

CTDirtFisher
04-17-2012, 07:12 PM
That's a great find Lee! Please don't clean it! I found my first and only large cent which was also a 1798 draped bust. I cleaned it and ALL the details went away. Enjoy it the way it is. IMHO

Expierience is the key here... Sometimes the detail is in the hard packed dirt on the coin... If this is the case... Cleaning will get you to the coin... and the detail that wasn't there, but present in the hard pack, will be lost...

Close magnifyed examination can normally answer this question... To clean or not to clean...

Paul

coop
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice find!!!!! Judging by the pic I don't think I would do anything else but put some wax on it and call it good. HH coop

jkress
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
:shocked04: Talk about an early copper. :clapping: Congrats on a great find lee.
I can't imagine how exciting it would be to dig something so old. :daydream:

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Congrats on a nice old copper, WTG |:cheering: