PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1938 Orphan Annie Decoder

CODY
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi I posted this on the coin forum with some other finds. Sorry, don't mean to Double dip. I had a question some of you might could help me with. In the process of cleaning it I attempted to turn the dial. And of course the rusted rivet broke. Does anyone know how or where I might could send it to get it repaired. I kow its not woth a whole lot, but Its a neat find. &quot:grin:rink your Ovaltine LOL

del
04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Cody , that is a great question ...

it would be very cool to see it restored like new , i wish i had an answer for ya . maybe one of our members has an idea or can point you in the right direction , i'll be listening too.

Dan

Toadman
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Definately a cool find :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Lowjiber
04-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Do you have a small machine shop near you? Frankly, it doesn't look like a big deal, but just needs a little care taken during the process.

Another thought...Do you have a model railroad club nearby? A lot of those types have very small lathes that they use to work on their old metal trains...just what is needed to neatly remove the original rivet.

BTW: Eat your Ovaltine. :rolleyes:

tanacat
04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey that's neat Cody! thumbsup01

I think John has the right idea, I'm sure there's someone out there who could fix that :yes:

rsarge1
04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
yeah what lowjibar said all it needs is a good cleaning and to replace the old rivet shouldn't be a problem. if your not woried about it to much you can use a dremel tool to get the rivet off and a rivet gun to put a new rivet in yourself.

Ill Digger
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Thats a great find Cody! :yes: thumbsup01
A buddy of mine found one just like it a few years ago. The rivet had already rusted out on his though. crying01
It sounds like you've got some pretty good ideas already. I can't think of anything better either. :thinkingabout: :dontknow:
I'd be curious to see it if you get it back together too. And how you did it. Maybe I can help Theola with his :dontknow:........... :->

CODY
04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I use to restore old toy trains at one time. Had a press, the works. Have sold off most of the tools now. I have replaced rivets in the old trains before which were Lionel. But, never ran across one that small. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks for the advice.

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Cool find Cody and good luck with the restore. hey, isnt that the one Ralphy received in the movie A Christmas Story
Check out the video
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU&feature=youtube_gdata_player#)

CODY
04-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Yeah, drink your Ovaltine Ha