PDA

View Full Version : Large Copper

bob_e99
04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I found a couple of large copper last Saturday but one was really encrusted and it took me some time to clean it up a bit so I could get somewhat of a decent picture. I also want to thank Dan (Del) again for helping me with the identification. The encrusted one turned out to be a King William IV penny. While I can't get a date off of mine, they were made from 1831 to 1839. I also found a very worn matron head large cent. It's tough to make out the details.

del
04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
jeez Bob , that looks amazingly better . you did good my friend :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: evryone is going to ask ,how did you get that cleaned . |:cheering: |:cheering:

bob_e99
04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
jeez Bob , that looks amazingly better . you did good my friend :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: evryone is going to ask ,how did you get that cleaned . |:cheering: |:cheering:

Thank you but I just followed your instructions to a 'T'. I went with cold since I didn't know how hot to go and I needed to handle the coin and I used the round toothpicks. Very slowly and carefully the crud came off little by little. Unfortunately, the coin was in pretty bad shape. Maybe some colonial person taking out his dislike of the British lol

JTGOLD
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
nice cleaning job,wtg.

del
04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Thank you but I just followed your instructions to a 'T'. I went with cold since I didn't know how hot to go and I needed to handle the coin and I used the round toothpicks. Very slowly and carefully the crud came off little by little. Unfortunately, the coin was in pretty bad shape. Maybe some colonial person taking out his dislike of the British lol

lol lol Bob after another look i can pretty clearly see the 31 in the date , i'm glad it worked out and the coin came out impressively better. you know around that time in our history there was a big depression and not alot of currency circulating so alot of foriegn monies and tokens were abundant .

Dan

bob_e99
04-17-2012, 06:31 PM
lol lol Bob after another look i can pretty clearly see the 31 in the date , i'm glad it worked out and the coin came out impressively better. you know around that time in our history there was a big depression and not alot of currency circulating so alot of foriegn monies and tokens were abundant .

Dan

You have good eyes. I find that when I stare at it too hard, I see what my mind wants me to see and it's usually just wishfull thinking. Thanks for spotting that. Also, very interesting about the history of the time and I did not realize that fact about the currency. It's amazing how something like this really makes history come alive and not so dry as when someone stands in front of the class just droning on and on with dates.
Thanks again.

|:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

z118
04-17-2012, 08:08 PM
That coin did clean up well. It's neat that it's holed too - that always adds so much more character in my mind. You might find this article interesting too, which fills in a bit what Del has already indicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_times_token

Congrats on the great digs!

POKIE73
04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
congrats on your finds they are some nice coins for that time period dennis

jkress
04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Very nice find bob_e99. :clapping: I love the old coppers.
Great job cleaning it up too, looks much better. :smitten:
Congrats.

aloldstuff
04-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Very nice finds, nothing like digging up old coppers.

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice finds and congrats on the old copper, WTG |:cheering:

CoinageBritannia
06-08-2012, 02:11 AM
I can narrow it down even further for you. It is indeed a William IV Copper Penny 1831-37 was the issue date; as Queen Victoria ascended the throne in 1837. HH!

bob_e99
06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Thank you for the additional information. I still can't believe how this coin dwarfs the American large cent.