PDA

View Full Version : What is the wiggle method for pinpointing?

Dig EM
04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Been doing some reading online about the E-trac and have seen many people using using the wiggle method of pinpointing. What exactly is that? I have a new E-trac comming but it won't be here till next week. Just curious. Thanks

randy
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Once you get a good target signal in trash, wiggle the coil over the target ever so slightly as you back away, waiting for the signal to go away. The target is at the tip of the coil. Do it in two directions to get a better fix. This is necessary when coin sized targets are mixed with ferrous and other larger trash, and traditional pinpointing is impossible. There are vids on how to do this out there, just google around. Its a necessary technique, IMHO, for using the E-Trac.

Bell-Two
04-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Here is a good video explaining the wiggle method.

How to Pinpoint with the Etrac without ever using the pinpoint button (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rv_VrWjHUM#)

Dig EM
04-20-2012, 06:59 PM
That video was helpful, thanks for posting it! I'm going to go nuts till fedex brings the E-trac!

Jason in Enid
04-20-2012, 09:01 PM
The wiggle works best for locating good targets next to iron. When you try to pinpoint normally, you can't because the iron just keeps pulling you pinpoint away from the signal location. It's not foolproof but it has gotten me multiple silvers next to large iron targets.

One thing to remember is the depth affects the wiggle. Targets near the surface require basically no movement to respond. Targets several inches deep need a slight wiggle. Targets down around 6-7 inches require a couple inches of side-side for a response.