PDA

View Full Version : AUCTORI . CONNEC .

lee
04-20-2012, 10:20 PM
detected a new area yesterday and realy only expected clad and possibly a silver and sure enough it was lots of clad and then a really cool pendent with no silver mark on it but its obviously silver as the day is long, very odd though , in the middle there is what looks like chalk ??.
then out of no where i get a signal at 8 inches that turns out to be what i think is my first counterfeit ct copper !! where usually its the writing i cant see on this one i see the words AUCTORI . CONNEC . with a mailed bust facing right and the date 1787.
i dont really understand this rarity rating thingie but after compairing it to others, i think its an R4 what ever that means :huh:.
ive not cleaned it in any way but if anyones interested ill post a picie or two tommorow coz im dead tired tonight and cant be assed to mess around with this camera WHICH IS GOING STRAIGHT IN THE BIN IF IT DONT START WORKING BETTER !!!!!!!

dalewestaby
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
nice finds none the less! got pics?

del
04-21-2012, 01:08 AM
hey Lee , i hope to see a couple of pictures soon . unfortunately i won't be back on the forum until very late tonight as i have a club hunt up in New Hampshire. but i'll give you a little information on the basics of Connecticut coppers and show you a good example to help you see what you are looking at. thes were minted from 1785 to 1788 and in total there are around 450 different varieties . a lot of times you don't need a date to narrow it down only some key areas to identify , congrats on a nice coin and hope to be able to id it for you .

Dan

the AUCTORI CONNEC slogan on the obverse of Ct. state coppers is latin and loosely translates to Authority of Connecticut . the Roman emperor looking bust figure was modeled from the British monarch coppers that were widely accepted here in the colonies (who got it from the Romans when they were part of that empire) . the bust figure faces one way or the other and is either wearing mailed armor or a draped robes or toga .

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/gifs/1787_ct_copper_miller_33_07_r_02_obv.jpg

the reverse has INDE ET LIB for a slogan and its abbreviated latin means
Independence and Liberty , the womanly figure is a representation of lady liberty holding a staff (with a liberty hat hanging from the top on some but not all) and with her other out stretched hand , she offers an olive branch. . the shield sits at her side with the Connecticut seal on it (3 grapevines) while she sits on a globe ( to represent her place in the world) with the date below her feet.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/gifs/1787_ct_copper_miller_33_07_r_02_rev.jpg

aloldstuff
04-21-2012, 06:03 AM
I'll be waiting for the pictures but I hope what Del has posted helped. Go easy on the camera

JTGOLD
04-21-2012, 07:21 AM
it would be nice to see a pic of it,,nice find.

Fire Fighter 43
04-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Congrats on an ice find, WTG |:cheering:

Snapolson
04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Cool find Lee. Can't wait to see the photo. When you say counterfeit do you mean from that time period or a recent made one?

lee
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
from the time period chris .
still waiting on the better camera lads but ill be sure to post a picture or two when i get it.
just an update , went to the same place with larry yesterday and finaly he found a realy good coin an 1838 seated half dime that i have asked him to post so hopefully he will do so today....................its bloody lovely and in great shape to.
me ? just an 1921 wheat and yet another crotal bell !!!! thats 4 in two weeks

del
07-28-2012, 06:24 PM
from the time period chris .
still waiting on the better camera lads but ill be sure to post a picture or two when i get it.
just an update , went to the same place with larry yesterday and finaly he found a realy good coin an 1838 seated half dime that i have asked him to post so hopefully he will do so today....................its bloody lovely and in great shape to.
me ? just an 1921 wheat and yet another crotal bell !!!! thats 4 in two weeks

hey have we waited enough Lee !! we want to see the coppa!

jkress
07-29-2012, 12:48 AM
:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

Congratulations on an amazing coin. :clapping:

I'm with the rest of the them... want to see. :->

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
not likely it's a counterfiet.ya got the real deal and congrats on the half dime!

starman2
07-31-2012, 01:10 PM
:perfect10:! :congrats: on a unique find! Hope it's authentic!