PDA

View Full Version : wrap around on v3?

pointer80
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
on the screen of my v3 the vdi reads +80s but there will be red reject bars on the far left of the scale. Is this wrap around? If not what is it? Also another thing I noticed is sometimes I will get vdi's in the 70's or 80's and good green bars with just a thin red line on them. When I dig it is usually trash. Does anybody else have this? One more thing is it normal for the v3 to say tracking when Im hunting?

randy
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
One more thing is it normal for the v3 to say tracking when Im hunting?

Can't answer the other questions, but this is normal. It means it is detecting changes in the ground balance. You can turn this off with LockTrac (which means it doesn't re ground balance). You may also be able to turn the message off, but have it continue to GB -- not sure about that tho.

CyberSage
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
You will get splatter from time to time all over the place. What we are looking for is solid repeatable tones and steady VDI feedback. Typically wrapping will occur in the 22.5 kHz frequency on a non V rated coil, or even sometimes with a V rated concentric coil this will be exhibited to a lesser degree.

ramases
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
It's interesting you say there's a lot of wrapping with a non-V coil at 22.5KHz. I have noticed wrapping with my SEF and have not seen it with any of my other coils. Now I know why!!! thumbsup01

Fishnmaine
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
In my test garden yesterday I had the same issue....little red bar on the right side of the green bar....Which I thought it was kinda strange :confused: because I knew what was buried there....The only thing was different was that the ground was saturated with water......I think this caused the problem........... also I noticed my nickle was reading +18 to +37 to+54...never has done that before.....I was using my V rated 950 coil.....saturated grounds can give false signals....can anybody quote me on this?

rcasio44
04-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Here's the explanation that I've collected.

Red Bars Say you have a shallow iron target close to a deep silver dime. You want to hear the dime and you want to see its VDI. If you are sweeping in the direction such that the iron target gets seen first, you probably won't hear the dime or see the VDI. However, sweeping the other way, your detector sees the dime first, beeps and puts up the +VDI for your dime as well as a green line on the spectragraph.
However, when it goes over the close iron target, the red line from the iron target will be large enough to cause the green line from the dime to drop down into the noise region so you don't see it. You still heard the audio. The VDI from the dime did not get removed because then you wouldn't have the VDI info on the target close to that iron target that was rejected out. If you want to see VDIs from the rejected targets, you can disable visual reject and then you will also see the iron VDIs displayed. But, with visual reject on, only the good VDIs get displayed. Now, noise or inconsistencies in the ground can also generate this, if you are running hot enough. No detector can remove all noise if running hot. You have the choice of running it at lower gains/disc sensitivity if you don't want these false signals or you can run hot and have a much better chance at finding the deeper targets. The reason they don't knock out the +VDI when a stronger iron signal is seen is just so that you have more information to work with. If you want to see more of the spectragraph information, you can lower the base threshold for the spectragraph. AK 1234
AK is correct, except that it can happen even on non-deep targets. Basically, it's just masking. When you see this, use pinpoint mode to separate the targets, then go back over each one much slower, with shorter strokes. Also turn 90 degrees and sweep the spot. Most likely, you have an iron target next to something good. Carl

Rob