PDA

View Full Version : What in the halibut is a compass monument?

leslie(nova scotia)
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....well Friday morning and I was sore after a thumping the day before on the ice. Called Navy Davy late in the morning....8am but the bouy had already left port.

Rather then subject my old body to another hockey game I decided to go swinging till nap time before the start of a night shift.

Hit the same spot Navy Davy and I had last dug and began the march of the penny parade with my first 20 some odd finds being pennies.............well they do add up!

Was swinging away at the crest of the knoll when this bouy, at least at first glance I thought it was a bouy approached me with a big grin on it's face and asked if I could do him a favor. Okay I thought what will it be money, directs to a beauty parlor or drugs? His ears were pierced big enough for an NBA player to slam dunk a basketball through with enough piercings on his face that my old Garrett was starting to chirp.

Man was my first impression on the wrong side of the port as he turned out to be a student at SMU (Saint Mary's University) and was taking map drawing and related courses. In perfect polite English he asked that I find a compass monument for him. I retorted that I would me bouy if fen Ize knew what in the halibut it was.

So for the next few minutes he explained that a compass monument was a fixed and registered spike that was used in surveying and other related fields of endeavor and the one in this area had been buried.

Two minutes later I had found my first compass monument!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/leslie19/daily/P8040001.jpg

He politely thanked me took a digital photo and headed back to SMU as I politely returned to my blissful swinging and thinking what an arse I was for pre judging a person.

Quota was obtained with 51 coins at $2.39, a key and a dewy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/leslie19/daily/P8050004.jpg

SeabeeRon
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Ya did a good deed there Les, WTG!!

RickO
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Another great story Leslie... :grin: RickO

CBnKansas
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Best way to find out! When I found my first one glued to the flightline I was ready to pry it up thinking it was not supposed to be there, lucky for me a co-worker stopped me.

A good deed on your part!

cb

coinnut
03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Yep sometimes we can all pre-judge someone. I get it all the time lol Now I wait for the gun to come out before I say I knew he was a bad guy rofl Good deed done and some coins dug out = a good day!