PDA

View Full Version : Toast

pulltabsteve
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
On Sunday morning I was up by 4:30AM to meet Mike at a spot at 6. He called just as I was about to leave the house and said he got called into work and will call when he gets out. So I decided to run over to a local park and kill some time. I got a nice, deep signal. 11-47 and 10. I was figuring a Morgan or a ball jar filled with silver but about a foot down I got the square thing with the hole in it.... :wow: After about 2 hours of walking and talking with locals, I got a phone call asking if I could take a quick run into work to look at a machine they were having trouble with. I took the quick :rolleyes: 30 mile run into work to see what the problem was. On the way in Mike called and said he just got out of work >:{ We made plans for later in the day.... The crew was using a sweeper machine. Its run by hydraulics and hooks up to a John Deere gator. They tell me in broken english, brush spins wrong way. I try it and the brush which spins and picks up debris off the greens is spinning towards the front and just tossing the crap back on the greens. I reverse the hydraulic hoses and put them in the proper location and it works fine... Back in my car and drive 30 miles east.

I meet up with Mike at a spot we've been to a few times before. Got a nice 12-46 at 6 and pull out the Large cent. No detail whatsoever but Im sure Dan can tell me the year thumbsup01

As always, had a blast hunting with Mike. We WILL be getting out nice and early this coming weekend. Its going to be beautiful out and I'll be screening my calls! :yes:

CTDirtFisher
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure the all knowing amazing Dan can tell you the year from that picture...

But... I'm pretty sure from that picture you have a 1797-1807 Draped Bust US Large Cent...

Anychance you have picture of back or a better picture ? (Lighting and macro)

del
04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
hey Steve , sorry about your 60 mile round trip just to hook up with Mike :hairpulling: ;) sounds like you work with a couple of similar guys that i do ( they make us look real good to the company) lol lol your large cent looks like a drape bust type 1796 to 1807 i believe. congrats .

Dan

pulltabsteve
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys. Heres the back. A copper slug.... :(
Dan, I didnt mind the trip. At least I know this weekend will be a blast. You and G better start planning a trip |:cheering:

aloldstuff
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Between all the driving, solving problems at work you still managed a nice early LC. Congrats

Rob L
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I think Dan hit it on the nose. It looks like a Draped Bust. Congrats, its an old one.

mike l
04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Nice Draped Bust Steve thumbsup01. That helps to date the spot :wow:. It's older than I thought. Now if we can just get into the area were the leg slashing sticker bushes took over :yes:

Woody420
04-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Awesome old Copper Steve!!!! Congrats!!!!! |:cheering: |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Fantastic find, WTG |:cheering:

Tony Two-Cent
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
I would be doing the happy dance for a week if I ever found a draped bust large cent! :happydance01:

You people out east are spoiled! :yes: lol

Great find, Steve! :beerbuddy:

jkress
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Wow... nice early copper Steve. :clapping: That's a great find.
I'd love to have a shot at something that old... but it's pretty tough around here. :rolleyes:

Congrats.

pulltabsteve
05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow... nice early copper Steve. :clapping: That's a great find.
I'd love to have a shot at something that old... but it's pretty tough around here. :rolleyes:

Congrats.

Whenever you're in the neighborhood Joe. you have an open invitation. |:cheering: