PDA

View Full Version : hello from delaware

Oldtimerben
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
hello-im new to this forum and wanted to say hi to ev1 here-ive been metal detecting since i was 8yrs old but stopped when i was 33.im 39 now and want to get back into it-the area i have metal detecting has been big from old forgotten towns to the del. and nj beaches.I'll be commenting and bringing up new topices from time-to-time as i get more famailar with this forum and this great site
They didnt have this when i was growing only contact we had back then was thru the treasure hunt magazines and bottle clubs that hunted for bottles..lol lol |:cheering:

angellionel
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi Ben! It's great to have you with us and to see that you are once again enjoying this great hobby. Have fun and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow detectorists here. :beerbuddy:

Oldtimerben
05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
thank you and may i say that you have a great site here on-line-may i ask-where is your club from?

randy
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Welcome from Chester County, PA.

angellionel
05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
thank you and may i say that you have a great site here on-line-may i ask-where is your club from?

Thank you Ben! We don't have a physical location (club) actually. The forum is an online community. :yes:

Epi-hunter
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your posts, and please feel free to ask questions and bring up new topics for discussion :)

Tony Two-Cent
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome from Illinois!

Glad to have you here, Ben! To some of us you're still a young pup! lol

Lots of history in Delaware, I'm envious of your opportunity to hunt there.

Best of luck! thumbsup01

del
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
hello Ben , welcome to American Detectorist ;) . looking toward seeing your finds from the Delaware area , what detector are you currently using?? best of luck to you this year and glad you could join us .

Dan

aloldstuff
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Welcome from western MA. Glad you found us and have decided to reenter the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

CODY
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Welcome from Mississippi! Welcome to the foum. Glad you found us. Tell us about what type machine you have and what type hunting you do. I am always sooooo envious of you guys on the east coast. You have so much older coins and things. Looking forward to your finds and post. HH

jkress
05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Welcome from Iowa Oldtimerben! :clapping: It is great to have you here with us.
Glad to hear you are back in the hobby.

Oldtimerben
05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
thanks ev1 for welcoming me in the forum-to answer the first question-i have a old whites spectrum detector-unfortunely its presently in bad shape due to the constant useage i put it threw over the years-the md that replace it was a whites 5900 di series-i physically ran that one to the ground..lol lol.In south jersey me and my pop had a rare collection of oil-based maps that were from the 1700's to the 1890's that started from trenton all the way down into cape may county-we would research an old forgotten town by reading up in it in libraries,books,and geographic maps to pin-point the location-ten the fun part-try to find it.Afterwards we would mark it,do a quick servey of the grounds then look for tell-tale signs for depressions or trees/shrubs that werent native to the area.Second trip was to metal detect the crap out of the area-he had a garnet and i had a whites,mark the spots with :usaflag:s as my mom dug them up unless i got either gold/silver spots then i dug..lol(sorry mom).

We tryed to metal detect where we were allowed and most of the time got permission when we came across sites that fell either on private or state property.

I have lived in delaware since 2007 and found out that metal detecting is nearly impossible without having permission,knowing certain people in high places,or making deals with property owners just to metal detect-a real discouragement esp. when someone is trying to get back into it like me-thats why i need help esp. in the surrounding area that i live in.The md club in penns.helps but just not enough and nobody from that club has reached out to me so far-are there any md clubs in delaware and isnt far from me?? If anyone knows,i would be forever grateful to you :smitten:

Oldtimerben
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry if i wrote a book but forgot one more thing.I have checked on-line for metal detecting clubs in my area and found two-one is practially non-existed but still mds some of the time-little if any info can be found on this md club.The other one which was located in dover,de-i got different stories;some say it was dissolved years ago,others say it does exist but doesnt meet on a regular basis,even others say that the members dont bother with anyone and dont do hardly any type of md.
The md club that is location below seaford is active but doesnt go any farer than dover to detect and mainly focuses their search on the east coast below delaware(parts of maryland,virginia,north and south carolina beach areas)
So like one of your pictures i see here,it is like beating a dead horse >:tongue:
Im just not getting anywhere and it just seems hopeless at times.. :sick:

Fire Fighter 43
05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin, glad to see you found us and GL with your return to the hobby.

OxShoeDrew
05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I hope you get some nice sites soon. I think we're all pretty much in the same boat. Welcome to the forum!

Oldtimerben
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
thats ok-im usted to being in the same boat..lol lol.It seems that most that are in this hobby hover around site or/and digs either have historical or some history to it.Most of these sites are in penns.,parts of maryland,west virginia and virginia or where its not private property or they all know the person/or persons that own the land.And they are very protective of who they let know even if its others that are new or like me trying to get back into the hobby.Sorry if it sounds mean but i have ran into this esp. the metal detector club that i'd joined last year.From the club roster,i found 20 in my area that work for the county or private owners that are prepping their land to either build on or/and sell.What they do is they stay on one piece of land or site and metal detect on it-they look for others that are in the hobby that have either land or pull to get on land sites :(.Not fair for ones that know what they are doing that want to get back into the hobby-so as you can see its just not the area but other metal detectists and friends of those in the metal detector club thats ruining this hobby for the rest of us.

I was thinking of starting my own club but its alot of planning and work that i may or may not be able to handle in my condition.If i knew if someone that wanted to organize a club in my area,i would jump onto that boat in a heartbeat but so far just trying to find others in my area that do it solo or in a small group be becoming nearly impossible to find.... :huh:

Oldtimerben
05-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Sorry,one final note:This forum is great btw as to let others know that if you are metal detecting with friends or at dig sites that dont yield too much--Just one word-LUCKY-Very lucky that you can pal around with friends or family that share or/and help in the same hobby that you like.Even finding places to dig or search is a blessing-never forget that-May everyone be lucky on mothers day and find a fortune in any kind of treasure out there |:cheering:

Happy mothers day to all :cheering:

Mudder
05-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Welcome from the very deep south. These are good folks and always ready to lend a helping hand. :peace:

Lowjiber
05-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Welcome back to the hobby and to your new forum home. We're glad to have you. |:cheering:

MassDirtFisher
05-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the forum from Western Massachusetts. Happy Hunting!!