PDA

View Full Version : More silver, more wheats and a surprise

OkieDigger
10-31-2009, 07:13 PM
I went back to the yard where I had found the Barber dime and wheats last weekend. I decided to hit the area where I found the dime and take my time. I wasn't getting many hits, but then I hit a little strip and started finding some wheats. Then I got a nice FE CO of 12-13 which is almost always a nickel. It was only showing 3 to 4 down. I figured it probably wasn't anything old, but I always like digging nickels whether they're old or not. To my surprise I had found a buffalo nickel! This is my first buffalo this year and my first with the E-Trac. It was so dirty I couldn't see the date so I just threw it into my pouch thinking it was just another dateless buffalo. A little later I got a nice 12-46 at 5 and out pops a 1952 D Rosie. Nice! One closer to Steve. ;) I dug a few more wheats and then got a 13-46 reading. I was hoping for another silver coin but this one was showing a depth of only 1. I retrieved it and got a nice little .925 stamped ring. It's got a little moonstone in it that really catches the light.

When I got home I cleaned everything up starting with the silver. When I got to the buffalo nickel I was happy to see a date of 1917. Nice, I don't get too many with dates. I've never found one with a mint mark, but on the odd chance I checked anyway. Hmm, that sure looks like an S to me. I got the loupe out and sure enough, there was an S. I looked that one up in the redbook. Oh boy. SWEET! My best nickel find EVER! I praised God and said my thanks for such a wonderful day.

coinnut
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice haul!!!! Gotta love those 12-46 readings thumbsup01 Around here they are silver dimes or large cents. You can never go wrong with a 12-46. Nice buffalo too. And what's with your wheats looking so nice. Some of our are so green that they are the dateless ones, not the nickles :grin: Looks like you had a good, fun hunt. And how about passing some of those mintmarks our way please:huh: :rolleyes: All we get are Philadelphia. (boring!!!! How about an S or something). ;)

bmattioli
10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Great looking hunt there Dale! That's a very nice ring and Rosie! A readable dated and mint marked Buff is just awesome! Congratulations, you had a great day!

Bruce

Bentfork
10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Very nice! I love when I hit a buffalo :cheesysmile:

G.

marchas45
10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea! what about the cents, their looking to good, I can see there not from around my neck of the woods. Ours are cruddy.
Great looking Dime, Nickel and Ring. Great finds OkieDigger. thumbsup01

OkieDigger
10-31-2009, 07:55 PM
When it comes to copper or bronze coins, Oklahoma is the best! :grin: Though I know a spot in the midwest that's pretty good too. ;) The farthest east I've been detecting is Ohio and you guys have it rough out that way. The IH's and wheats are horrible looking when they come out of the ground. Still, I'd trade a handful of wheats for a LC anyday!

MNDigger
10-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice haul Dale! Congrats on the great year buff and silver! Glad to see it was only one silver coin instead of two! :)

angellionel
10-31-2009, 08:54 PM
When it comes to copper or broze coins, Oklahoma is the best! :grin: Though I know a spot in the midwest that's pretty good too. ;) The farthest east I've been detecting is Ohio and you guys have it rough out that way. The IH's and wheats are horrible looking when they come out of the ground. Still, I'd trade a handful of wheats for a LC anyday!

Those are very nice. The nickel is a sweet find!

Yeah, the coppers generally do not hold well in the soil out here, though there have a been a few places where the wheats have come out in nice condition.

Jason in Enid
10-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Great finds Okie! Glad to see you pulling more silver.

del
10-31-2009, 09:33 PM
very good day Dale , keep puttin the pressure on Steve . ;)
i can't remember if i ever saw an s on any coin i've dug here :-\

Dave
11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Wow! Look's like you had a great day out playing in the dirt. Congratulations! Those are some sweet find's.

OkieDigger
11-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks everyone!

About the mint marks...we're pretty lucky here in the middle of the country. I've dug several mint marked coins and have seen others around here dig some of the odd ball ones like &quot:daydream: for New Orleans and CC for Carson City, but those are very rare.

Epi-hunter
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Awesome finds Dale!! I tried oh so hard to dig a great nickel this past week, but although I dug six modern nickels and ten thousand pulltabs, it was not meant to be.

You found a great site there! I love that ring too thumbsup01

z118
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice digs! The ring is especially nice - silver rings are one of my favorite things to find.

I still have yet to find a Buff which is starting to get to me!

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Great finds Dale!! Nice detail in 'ol FDR's hair!

Snowy
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Cool looking ring! I like it!
The coins are nice, too. ;)

Islandhunter
11-06-2009, 10:48 PM
all in all it looks like you had a great day!!! Congrats!!