PDA

View Full Version : It's a button, but from what?

Snowy
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I got out for a little bit the other day and found some clad, etc... as well as this button.
I'm not sure what it might have came from, though.... Any ideas?
I've got 2 pics... one while it was just brushed with my fingers, the other after a little dish soap and a toothbrush...
The second pic shows it lighter because of the lighting... the button is actually a darker metal like in the first pic.

tanacat
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Wow that really cleaned up! :shocked04: It's so intricate... From a NAVY /sailor outfit perhaps? Is it brass? Of course it could be from a kid's little sailor outfit lol I'll check around... Nice to meet you Snowy! I wonder how many women are on this forum?

Lowjiber
03-14-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm no button expert...by a long shot. However, a fouled anchor has been used on Navy insignia for many years...first on officer's dress and in more modern days it's the symbol of a Naval Chief Petty Officer (E-7 thru E-9).

(I'll bet you already knew that.)

Nice cleaning job too.

John M
03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Can you take a pic of the back?Is it one piece or two,does it have any back marks on it?It could just be a modern civilian button.But info on the back would help with the I.D.

Snowy
03-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Here are 2 pics of the back at different angles, put together in one image.

RickO
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice find, and being former Navy, I agree with Lowjiber, it is a traditional Navysymbol. RickO

del
03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
hey Donna theres no listing in the Albert's book for that design use by the Navy and its a steel back so it would suggest
post 1900 button and either used by some other country or its for civilian use.

Snowy
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I figured it was probably civilian, but couldn't imagine what it would come off from. Even though it has a military design, something about it just didn't look like it was used for military purposes. I can't figure out why, but it just did't look that way to me.

Epi-hunter
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't know what it is, other than that it's obviously a button lol But it's beautiful!

tanacat
06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey you- where've you been? I found one of these buttons since then lol

Too bad we didn't get chance to talk at Tom Weaver's Memorial Hunt- you were there right :huh: