PDA

View Full Version : Need a honest opinion.

Bubbalew
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Ok, so the wife has finally caught the bug herself and has agreed to let me buy another detector and she will use my Ace 350. I've had my eye on the Garret GTI 2500 since I first started wanting to get into this hobby, BUT at the advice of my wife I bought the 350 to start with to see if it's something I'm going to stick with and enjoy. Not only has the wife seen the excitement and over all joy I get when hunting, but she has also loved hunting with me and we actually fight to get turns to swing the detector. LOL lol lol lol.

That being said, She's agreed to let me get one for myself and she take the Ace 350 and me get a better model for myself. Now, I haven't been hunting but for 2 months now, but I think I have got the general idea and knowledge to say I can pretty much go on a hunt and come away with finds and know where to hunt and what to dig and what not to dig. To sum things up here what I am wondering is this....is the Garret GTI 2500 to much machine for me to take on this soon and to much of a step up from the 350 in all your Pro's opinion? I like the fact it has the same bell tone signal and general workings of the 350, but the 2500 has the more advanced imaging and pinpointing features. Also if anyone has any other models that may be in that same budget I am open to any help in that area. Thanks again and Happy hunting! :peace:

Ytcoinshooter
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
I've played with a few(loaned to me) Garrett ( green machines) detectors and found them real easy to use. More Specifically have not tried the 2500. You rarely see long posts on figuring how to set up and use a greenie. Before you pop a hunk of coin for the 2500 you might like to consider versatility like the AT Pro or even another brand but be careful not to buy anything to complex ( aka V3i ). Whites M6 has a loyal following and is considered simple and has good depth. The last couple of times I was out detecting the guy with the M6 was quickly making the best finds while some of us were still setting up and ground balancing. Personally I'm not a fan of Garrett detectors but they make a great ProPointer. Enough of my wind, whatever you do - don't overspend.

jkress
05-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Congrats Bubbalew. It is great the two of you are excited and sharing passion for the hobby.
This is more important than you realize. :yes:

In my opinion...
If you are going to spend the amount of a GTI 2500, I suggest you also consider other options too.

I started with an Ace 250 and was very impressed with the finds I made with it. I chose to move to
the Minelab series and have been very happy. So I can only talk from experience with these two brands.

There are many great detectors out there from Whites, Fisher and Tesoro just to mention a couple.
If you really want to stay in the Garrett family, I'd consider looking into the AT PRO. Many
people are making some great finds using it.

So, as you know, you have many options. But since you asked for an honest opinion, here is mine...
If you want to stay with Garrett, consider the AT PRO.
If you are willing to look at different brands, check out the Minelab series.

Whatever you choose, at this price point, will be a very capable machine. You will certainly find some exciting keepers.
Most importantly, you will get to share the excitement of this hobby with the best hunting partner a guy could ask for. :smitten:

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

POKIE73
05-05-2012, 05:29 AM
my advice to you would be that by the way you talk about this hobby that you are indeed very serios about it i would get the one that you want do not settle for second best it looks like you would just want to upgrade later save yourself the time and get the one that you can stick with for the long run and you would be happy with whatever brand that may be i personaly had always used a whites great machines had a coulpe of garretts for my grandkids they did well with them now i also am a minelab fan but whatever you choose be sure it is the one you want in your budget of coures good luck in your choice dennis

Vito
05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi Bubbalew,
you'll find lots of reviews here --> http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/58-1-gti2500.html
about the GTI 2500.

If you like the bell tone and other sounds of the Garrett's and want to upgrade to their top of the line model, do it. May be there are some videos on you tube about the 2500ish, too.

Depth is not all. It is always good to feel comfy with the used tool. What will be a other brand detector good be for if you don't like it's behavior, or the sound, or just the color, knobs etc. etc.

Whatever you decide on, Good Luck & HH.

Bubbalew
05-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks to Everyone who's replied. A extra thanks for the review page, it's been extremely helpful! For the most part from the reviews I'm reading (both on my own and the page posted) the only true negatives I'm reading about is the weight of the machine, and depth when using anything other the DD coil. I am also looking into Whites reviews.
Again thanks for all the replies, you guys are awesome and hopefully I can make a decision soon and be out hunting within the week with a newer model! :peace:

Fire Fighter 43
05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not that familiar with the 2500 but I did own the GTI2000 for a short time and found it to be a good detector. The target imaging was not that accurate at more than 5 inches. I believe in any hobby or sport that if you are comfortable with your Equipement you will always do better. If the 2500 is what you really want and you can afford it then go for it. Is there a multi line dealer in your area where you can test drive a few different brands? GL

Bubbalew
05-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm not that familiar with the 2500 but I did own the GTI2000 for a short time and found it to be a good detector. The target imaging was not that accurate at more than 5 inches. I believe in any hobby or sport that if you are comfortable with your Equipement you will always do better. If the 2500 is what you really want and you can afford it then go for it. Is there a multi line dealer in your area where you can test drive a few different brands? GL

the nearest dealer in a hour away, I'm planning on ordering online from Kellyco.

CODY
05-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I started with a Fisher F4. When I upgraded, I went with the Fisher F75 LTD SE. Although the F75 is way more advanced, it is similar, which to me, reduced the learning curve. But, I will say this. I am fixing to buy a Garrett AT PRO. The reason? It rains so much around here. The AT PRO is water proof up to 10 feet. I am tired of running for cover every time it comes a little shower. I love the F75, and will keep using it as the main machine. But on days that will be calling for rain, I will be taking the AT PRO. Now all I have to do is get off the money, Hahaha!

Bubbalew
05-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I actually have taken into consideration the whole water proof aspect or lack thereof with the 2500. I was wondering how the rain and dust cover actually protects it cause that may be a factor when I'm choosing due to the fact I don't want to be stuck inside on rainy days and here lately it's my days off that's rainy!

CODY
05-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I can tell you about the dust cover/rain cover for the F75. Not worth the time it takes to put it on. As soon as it starts to sprinkle, it fogs up on the inside. Can't see a blooming thing!

Vito
05-06-2012, 06:51 AM
>:\ :daydream:
Will rainy days use for cleaning finds and reading books and maps to scout new areas.
:interesting: <} :grin: |:cheering:

Bubbalew
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I am leaning to staying with the Garret line since I believe it will be less of a learning curve and save me some frustration and time in learning something new and more advanced. I can just see it now, I get some fancy model and take it out and get frustrated like when I first started with the 350 and have to learn something all over again. The only thing that I see that's a negative for me is that the 2500 isn't water proof and the rain cover is pretty much useless. But again, if anyone has a great suggestion to sway me another direction, I'm more than willing to listen. I'm probably going to order it Monday or Tuesday that way I know it's open and possibly have it shipped by the weekend. Thanks and happy hunting! :peace:

OxShoeDrew
05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
The only thing I can add is that the ace 350 is wicked front heavy.....which doesn't actually add much to the conversation :grin:

CaptKirk
06-15-2012, 07:46 AM
You may want to check out the GTI1500 too. Basically the same MD but at a cheaper price. I was going to buy a GTI2500 but opted for the GTI1500 and bought a Sea Hunter MarkII for the beaches out here.