PDA

View Full Version : Big Silver Out of Nowhere!

z118
03-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Got out again today, figured I'd do the tot lot thing. I hit a few and they were all busts for the most part. On a whim I decided to do a little dirt digging at a school that last year gave up a few silver coins early in the season. I never really got back to it because it sees a lot of activity during nice weather and by the end of the year I had some other hot spots anyway. So I headed back today, not expecting much. The Sov has always been a little testy at this spot and was again today. I was getting all broken signals; even on good, relatively shallow targets. This made finding deeper targets tough. Most turned out to be deep rusty nails, until finally one proved to be a deep '46 wheat. After a while I got an awful signal, it was high and low and broke all over and in every direction. But for some reason I dug. The ground was pretty wet and the hole started filling with water as soon as I got the plug out. So I was digging pretty quickly, and deep. Suddenly out pops this big disc. I had no idea what it was. Silver at this spot does not come out clean - so it didn't look like silver. I had to pick it up and look close before I knew what it was - a '34 Walking Liberty Half! That was just about the last thing I expected, but certainly made my day.

I cleaned her up a bit at home - she's in rough shape but I'm still thrilled.

Total for the day was 55 coins worth $4.17 which included the half and two wheats.

And I sure do like the I love nerds item... made me laugh when I found it.

EDIT - I can not get pics to attach... ERROR 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR TRAY AGIN LATER? Hmmm... they seem to have attached though.

Happy hunting!

xzlr8n
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Way to go thumbsup01, congrats on the Walker :yes:!! It's really wet and muddy where I am, maybe later in the week I'll have a chance to get out myself.

coinnut
03-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice WLH thumbsup01 My heart always races when I see big silver and that ain't too often. lol Great hunt. Now if you could only figure out how to get a machine to work well there, you would have a gold mine. I bet there are lots of targets lurking below that ground.

RickO
03-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Congratulations.. the WLH is a marvelous coin... other finds are nice as well... RickO

kevinslack
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
thats a super nice hunt, good job

angellionel
03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
She's a beauty, Z! Excellent find. Congrats! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
That is excellent!! I am still waiting for my first WLH. What a day!

CBnKansas
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
That is one beautiful coin in any condition. Man you were smiling ear to ear I bet. WTG man!

cb

marchas45
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice WLH Z and all the other neat finds, plenty of digging. Is that a toy snug nose revolver? thumbsup01

del
03-15-2010, 02:35 AM
ya always follow a whim or hunches , more often than not they pan out . great big chunk of silver , nice thumbsup01

BillZ
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Excellent finds Z!
Love the half!

hoser
03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
WTG Z!! Thats a beautiful WLH. :drool: And what a haul you made. Looks like this is gonna be a good year for all of us. Well done. ;)

Ill Digger
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Rough shape or not..... she's beautiful :drool:
I'd love to have'er :yes:
Congrats :grin:

SeabeeRon
03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Great coin buddy!!