PDA

View Full Version : GROUP HUNT*CIVIL WAR COMPANY LETTER THING?

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
got an invite from Scott (401k) to come down and do a group hunt with Drew(charlives) and Terry RI and a few other guys.we had to meet them at 11 am so me and Rebel (roger) headed out at 7 am to a cellar hole.not many targets at the hole.think Dan & George may have been here previously but i managed to get this letterA rivet type thing (IH penny is for size reference)
It definitely went on a leather strap with the rivet on back but my question is....is this a civil war company letter perhaps that went on something? a collar disc maybe?
at the farm field i got a few flat buttons,one scott backmarked designed one piece and a few other trinkets.thanks for the invite Scott! was nice to finally meet them and a great day out to detect

Fire Fighter 43
05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice bunch of relics, WTG |:cheering:

Merc
05-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Nice bunch of keepers Dave! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
reply from william leigh

Hello, with such an attachment its usage would be understood to have been as a lapel stud or cuff link. I cannot speak to era, as they are not my specialty field.
Kind regards and wishing you continued success.

William Leigh www.civilwarbuttons.com (http://www.civilwarbuttons.com) phone: (540)338-7367

del
05-07-2012, 02:34 AM
hey that road does look familiar :yes: :yes: :grin: not a bad day out Dave you had beautiful weather for it wish i could of joined you all :daydream: congrats on the finds.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-07-2012, 08:10 AM
cleaned it up a bit more.still has gilt on letter sides and in fields around A
Dan whats your opinion?

aloldstuff
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Looks like a great hunt and I hope you can get some info on that A item

CODY
05-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Sweet finds. Congrats!

del
05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
cleaned it up a bit more.still has gilt on letter sides and in fields around A
Dan whats your opinion?

:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: well it seems a bit small to be a collar disk so i was thinking maybe a cufflink or hat button , it looks like it could be military or national guard , or even military school issue.. like your expert you e-mailed , i'm at a loss for era maybe sometime post Civil War to about 1900 but that would be just a guess.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: well it seems a bit small to be a collar disk so i was thinking maybe a cufflink or hat button , it looks like it could be military or national guard , or even military school issue.. like your expert you e-mailed , i'm at a loss for era maybe sometime post Civil War to about 1900 but that would be just a guess.

Dan

I just got this response from a guy on CS SEntinal forum

Just saw your piece and wanted to let you know I dug the exact same item .Well I say exact not quite as mine had the number 4 in it instead of a letter. I dug my piece in an area of confederate activity. I dug a script I and a Gardner bullet with my piece.It was yrs ago and my piece was damaged.I got to messing with it and broke it even more.I had not seen another like it until I saw yours. I assumed it was something post war so it got tossed into some junk box and for the life of me don't have a clue as to what ever happened to it.I swear it was made identical to yours but with a number instead of the letter.even the background in the disc was the same.I'll look around , doubt I'll find it but I'm goin to look now. Mine was dug in a confederate camping area in the low country of SC. It's definitely got me curious as to what it is now.Nice finds congrats!

The Hun

tanacat
05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Great finds Dave |:cheering: I checked out the values of the Artillery buttons... :shocked04:stretcher: Amazing how much CS items are worth. Hope you figure out exactly what your A is.

The only CW stuff I've found so far is US belt plate :smitten:

Toadman
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Love the button too... gotta love group hunts too !! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: