PDA

View Full Version : where do i start ?

carl2112
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
My question is I'm going to a lake next weekend and I wanted to know where do most of you hunt when you go to the beach I know I could find anything anywhere but I was wonder where do you start in the sand ? On the waters edge and shallows? Waist deep ? How deeps too deep ? I'm going to a in land lake so its not salt water and I don't have to deal with high and low tides. I was hoping for a little direction to help make this an efficient weekend. I don't plan on coming home with out something good. I plan and spending three full days of detecting. I hope you guys can help me out ?

Fire Fighter 43
05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly new to water hunting, less than 2 seasons, but I think with inland lake beaches the finds could be anywhere in the water. There isn't much wave action so I would figure they stay where they come off. If you have not been in the water before I would start in the shallow to get use to your retrieval method. Just work parallel to the shore working your way out to the deep. Good luck and bring home the GOLD

carl2112
05-11-2012, 06:41 AM
And what sensitivity does everyone use in the water or in the sand the two other beach times I went out the water was to cold to get and seriously hunt and I was digging a lot of junk at 6to8+ inches(mostly bottle capps) in the water I can't imagine having to dig down more then 4 inches in the water.

Fire Fighter 43
05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
On my Excal II I use manual sensitivity set at 6 out of 10 and set my Discrimination low ( 3 on the Excal II)so I do not miss any small gold. You must be prepared to dig a lot of trash, that is the nature of gold jewelry hunting.

VaBeachMax
05-13-2012, 04:02 PM
sensitivity ?
water helps, so crank it down a notch

caps, pull tabs - u will find many and that is Many with a big M - just part of doing business in the water.