PDA

View Full Version : hunting the great lakes

carl2112
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Sorry you guys if I'm blowing up this topic with my newbie questions. But I figured what better place to ask. So my question is has anyone on here hunted the great lakes and if so which one did you like or prefer. or which one do you think is a waste of time and I should stay away from. I'm from michigan and have been focusing all my beach hunts to inland lakes thinking the great lakes were just too big with too much shore line (I don't know why I was thinking that cause people mostly hunt the ocean) I was planning a trip up north to my buddys cottage to hunt the rather large in land lake his property sits on but I'm only going to be a few mins from lake huron. So I was wondering what the groups thoughts are on lake huron or any of the great lakes in general ??

CODY
05-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Being from Mississippi I have no idea about the great lakes. But, IMHO, I would do some research and find the most popular beaches for swimmers, skiers, etc. I'm thinking any beach, anywhere, where there are people, there will be stuff to find.

Fire Fighter 43
05-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I've been hunting lake Michigan beaches around Milwaukee with limited success, but I'm fairly new to water detecting. A beach is a beach if there are people in the water then they will loose goodies. The only thing differant about the great lakes is they do have wave action and it moves the items around. You need to look for the cut which is wear the heavy stuff lies gold, coins ect. I was told after a good storm is a better time to find a good cut. The cut can be found by looking for the low spot where there are heavy rocks. Hopefully my two cents helps a little. good Luck.

carl2112
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks I guess next weekend I'll see if I can find the cut I use to swim in lake huron every summer as a kid and I think I can remember areas of deep and shallow bands running parallel to the shore. I hope those are it ? And I dig everything so I'm getting use to digging up trash hell beer cans haven't had pull tabs on them in over 30 years and I always find a dozen or so of them when I'm out hunting parks. Oh Well wish me luck and thanks for all the help