PDA

View Full Version : Token ID

fyrffytr1
05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I had a chance to get out today but didn't have any where to go. So I rode downtown to check the river level. It's still about a foot higher than what I want but, with the drought we are experiencing it will be down in no time.
Anyhoo, while driving around I saw a sidewalk tear out and decided to give it a shot. The tear out was about 150' long and 4' wide. I was disheartened a little to see that half of it had been formed with metal to pour the new walk. So, I hunted that half using a very narrow pattern and found three memorial cents from the 60s.
When I got to the second half I was able to do a full swing but, only found a 44 and 45 wheat penny. As I neared the end I got an iffy signal and dug this token. It was on the side of the tear out so I don't know if it is modern or about the age of the wheats.
Hopefully someone can ID it for me. On one side there are two letters; an F at the top and an M at the bottom. On either side are stars. I can't make out what is in the middle. On the back, in the center is a 25 surrounded by 4 stars. The token is very thin and I think it is aluminum.

del
05-12-2012, 07:07 PM
hey fyrffytr1 thats the first i've seen of that particular coin or token , could it be a type of play money the F M might stand for Fake Money

fyrffytr1
05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
After a closer look there is nothing inside the middle circle.

fyrffytr1
05-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I was told that this might possibly be a commissary token from Ft McPherson, Ga. That would be too cool!

del
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
that would be cool , commissary tokens were used a lot by lumber companies as well

Ill Digger
05-12-2012, 11:15 PM
could it be a type of play money the F M might stand for Fake Money
:dontknow: Thats what I was thinkin' too Dan.

.... this might possibly be a commissary token from Ft McPherson, Ga. That would be too cool!
That would be ! :yes: thumbsup01
Good luck with an ID :->
Cool find
Congrats :grin:

fyrffytr1
05-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Well, the Commissary token theory has been debunked! It has been ided as play money from the 1920-50 time period. At least it dates to the coins I found.
Another one for the jar on my desk!

del
05-13-2012, 05:17 PM
i've see lots of play money in my years of detecting and this one was a new one for me fyrffytr1 :yes: