PDA

View Full Version : Park hunt with friends yields sterling 723rd Tank Battalion Unit Crest

mdakin
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Yesterday a couple of friends and I went to an older park and ventured off into an abandoned picnic grove. We've hit this site plenty in the past but it keeps on giving! My first target was the 1899 Barber dime, it was maybe 6-7 deep. It was in an area I know people have gone over, and it was a fairly strong signal. My only thought is that it was reading low, even lower than a zinc penny or IH so perhaps someone running with Disc missed it!

All told I got the war nickels, 1 IH, wheaties in the next couple of hours.

One friend had been skunked for the first couple of hours and then he chimes in on the walkie talkie letting us know he broke in with a 1917 walker half!!!!

So I headed over in his direction, he was in the woods, I wanted to see how far away from the pond he was. I made sure to head his direction by way of the bag I had brought, I had a water bottle in it and I was really thirsty. I was about 4 feet away from my bag, thinking about that water when I get a screaming signal. It was reading 12-46 steady and sounded really large!!! Out pops this shield shaped pin with a star on it, totally dark and cruddy. I'm thinking darn it, faked out by some large copper item again!!

It wasn't for another hour as we're all sitting around showing off what we found that my friend said to me, I think this is silver!!!. Sure enough we can make out the Sterling mark on the back, SWEET!! It was like a bonus silver find.

I got home and the wife helped me research it and we found out it was a tank battalion unit crest. Based on the dates of all of the items we've been finding from this picnic grove it's definitely native to WWII!!

Pretty cool piece of history, it's about .31 troy ounces of silver according to my jewelry scale.

I checked and re-checked the hole I found the coin purse in, but nothing!! Ahh well, that is still on my bucket list!

Enjoy the pics.

CTDirtFisher
05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Matt,

Nice digs !! It was a fun day... A little hot in the sun but worth the efforts over all as we all came home with goodies in the bag...

Paul

aloldstuff
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
How cool is that tank badge. Congrats on all those keepers.

Tony Two-Cent
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, great finds! That tank crest is a huge chunk of silver! :wow:

I love the Barber Dime too! :loveit:

Congrats on the war nickels, I can't find one this year to save my life!

Awesome hunt! :clapping:

CODY
05-13-2012, 11:55 PM
:wow: Awesome finds! Congrats! |:cheering:

POKIE73
05-14-2012, 05:53 AM
congrats on your finds nice silver finds you have there great hunt dennis

Fire Fighter 43
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Congrats on some nice finds, WTG |:cheering:

mike l
05-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I must have been a rush to dig that coin purse latch :omg:. Visions of old silver would have been running through my head :drool: