PDA

View Full Version : My first Merc!! - UPDATE

Relic Whisperer
05-14-2012, 10:52 AM
I found some additional post cards from the 1920's and used google earth to help me hone in on a couple of areas I did not hunt becuase they just looked borning. The aerial showed me that where I found the merc was along the original sidewalk leading from the hotel. I also discovered newspaper articles that show that half the hotel was built and from 1915 and the second half was added in 1925. I'm going back Saturday armed with some additional knowledge. Can't wait

I know some of you are thinking Hey what is that beach guy doing in coinshooters?. Well I'm not lost. I have been researching and stalking a piece of property that had a hotel built in 1915 on it that is still standing. Hotel had the likes of Marylyn Monroe, Babe Ruth and Al Capone grace it's doors. By stalking I mean trying to find the owners. The property has been in renovations with various owners since 1997. It's been in and out of bankruptcies and forclosures etc. etc. Well last Christmas I got to the actual owner to be and then had to wait for months of forclosure processes to be complete until they became the actual owners. Well last week he finally gave me writen permission for me and a friend. I immediately askes a member in my club that I have been wanting to hunt with that is a seasoned relic hunter. So I sent him the details and he calls me back and says I got some bad news, I have already hit that site a few times hard about a year ago. Well I was hoping he hadn't but was not surprised when he told me he had. He told me it was a good hunt with lots of wheaties a V nickle and some otrher silver. Well at least my research awas dead on so I didn't feel too bad. Not detered I marched on this Sunday and was able to pull my first merc dime (1938 no mint), a war nickle and 4 wheats with one being as old as 1919 along with an antique ring that appears to have had opals in it or some kind of dull blue stone. The Merc came at teh end of the 3 hour hunt and now i know what that rush feels like. So all in all I felt pretty good about doing the research and then vindiacting it with some silver. Well that's a long story to just prove that no place is ever hunted out and I plan on going there again next weekend. Pictures below. I know the gropup shot is poor, but you all know what war nickles and wheaties look like and the ring is in very poor shape anyway. I'll see if I can get a better pic of the ring incase someone can add to its description.

aloldstuff
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Your fellow club member might have hunted the site, but he left you some goodies. Definately hit it again. Congrats on your 1st merc, may many more come your way.

JTGOLD
05-14-2012, 12:46 PM
very nice keeper hunt and congrats on your first merc,

CODY
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Sweet, congrats!

OxShoeDrew
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Very nice, firsts are sooooo much fun.

Fire Fighter 43
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Congrats on your first Merc, WTG |:cheering:

mike l
05-15-2012, 11:20 PM
My first silver coin was a Merc, a 1917. I was doing the happy dance <:, from then I was hooked :clapping: