PDA

View Full Version : Computer bit the dust...

pulltabsteve
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I have an old desktop computer in the man cave that I have the scanner connected to that I take pics of my finds. It served its purpose for almost 8 years. Myself and both my kids have laptops that we use upstairs. This past weekend the hard drive failed so I went to the local staples store to get a hard drive. They dont carry these old IDE drives anymore. Only SATA. But the guy at the store told me about a website, newegg,com, that still has older parts. I found 1 for $19.99 with free shipping! I also entered a promo code and got 15% off. $16.99 shipped to my door in 2 days. I should get it tomorrow. Now Im not the most computer literate person there is but for 20 bucks I'll see if I can get the old one up and running again.
So I was looking on craigslist for used desktops, just in case my hard drive repair dont work, and I saw a desktop with a 15 flat screen for $40.00 about a mile from the house. I met the old guy at a local park. He said it all works fine. I talked him down to $35 ;) Get the thing home, hook it up and its password protected. 8/
I could get in using guest but it wouldn't allow me to make any changes without being logged in as an Admin... I go on the laptop and search online for what to do if I forgot my Admin password. I find a free software program called password cracker thats linxus based. I download it on a disk and put it in the desktop I bought. Restart the computer and this program runs automatically. In less than 15 minutes I had the old Admins password deleted and Steve was the new Admin |:cheering: I was pretty impressed. Just thought I'd share my glory happydance02

CTDirtFisher
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Go you! Step one is to have the courge to try !!!

You saw, you tried, you kicked its silicon back into shape !!

Paul

del
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
:wow: Steve , are you sure you don't work for the Geek squad :eyebrow: :poke: lol lol my computer would have been used as a boat anchor way before then :embarrassed: rofl rofl

aloldstuff
05-14-2012, 03:40 PM
:wow: Steve , are you sure you don't work for the Geek squad :eyebrow: :poke: lol lol my computer would have been used as a boat anchor way before then :embarrassed: rofl rofl

Mine was

mike l
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice work Steve, I never knew such a program existed... and free too happydance02

JTGOLD
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
very good fix job,,did you know there is a wire that will convert sata over to ide?

pulltabsteve
05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
very good fix job,,did you know there is a wire that will convert sata over to ide?

I didn't know that and obviously the geeks at the store didn't either. But for 17 bucks it works great and I'm happy. :yes: