PDA

View Full Version : What in the world are these things?

Tony Two-Cent
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
OK, I've been finding these things on a regular basis for years and I usually just throw them away, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. They seem to be made of brass or a similar metal, and have a thin metal tine or reed in the middle that is usually broken.

Can anyone tell me what they are?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Whatsit.jpg

del
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
the two outside ones are musical reeds from a pump organ Tony , these were hugely popular and affordable from the late 1800's to around the 1920's

Tony Two-Cent
05-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks a million, Dan! You are right on the money, as always!

The one in the middle has to be related somehow, except that it's a double reed of some sort. (After a quick Google search, I think it might be an accordian reed.)

I wonder why I find these in public parks? Oh well, at least I know what they are now!

Ill Digger
05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
lol Leave it to Dan! :clapping: :cheering:
You ain't the only one findin' those things Tony \:hammer: I've dug quite afew of those in the last couple of years. :yes:
And now we know what they are finally lol
They sound sooo good too...don't they!?! :drool:..... :hairpulling:... >{...... lol

aloldstuff
05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm with everybody else....the mystery has been solved, thanks Dan. I keep digging them up, everywhere and had no idea what they were.

Fire Fighter 43
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice ID Dan. |:cheering:

Full Metal Digger
05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Tony and Tim,

I think if you look closely towards the bottom (might have to rub some corrosion off), you should be able to see what note they are. Dave.

OxShoeDrew
05-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Aaawww come onnnn. I knew this.. lol lol you guys are too fast. I wanna help someone ...someday, :grin:

Jason in Enid
05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Am I having DeJa Vu? I swear I read this very thread months ago (if not last year), but I double checked the dates and they all showed within the last couple days. :confused:

I'm freakin out man!

laserfeller
05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
were also used in accordions and concertinas. This may explain how it ended up in an old park.

Google accordion reeds and concertina reeds then click on images for examples.