PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Ferrous
03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm looking at a new set of headphones and found the ones I want on line for $109 inc. shipping. I have bought two detectors from a local dealer and he has been very honest and given me a great deal on them. He wants $125 for the same phones. I realize I'm only talking about a few dollars difference but money is money. Should I consider the deals he has given me in the past and hopefully in the future and buy from him or the online deal. Just curious as to what everyone here thinks.
Thanks Guys and Gals, Ferrous

coinnut
03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm looking at a new set of headphones and found the ones I want on line for $109 inc. shipping. I have bought two detectors from a local dealer and he has been very honest and given me a great deal on them. He wants $125 for the same phones. I realize I'm only talking about a few dollars difference but money is money. Should I consider the deals he has given me in the past and hopefully in the future and buy from him or the online deal. Just curious as to what everyone here thinks.
Thanks Guys and Gals, Ferrous

Hmmm, If the dealer wasn't good to you in the past, then I would say go for the online deal. But since he has been honest with you and given you price breaks on the past two detectors, then I say you go with him. After all, he has already saved you more than you are looking to save here (overall). Local ties in business are important. Who knows, he may give you a tip on your next machine that may score you something worth far more than the couple of bucks. Just my thoughts though.

Ferrous
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I was thinking along those lines too Coinnut. When I say local dealer, I mean 150 miles away so he would have to ship them also.

Epi-hunter
03-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Tough one.

Getting a good deal from a seller who proves reliable and helpful at a personal level is worth a lot to me. I have dealt with a couple who now have my loyalty. (Midas/John on this forum being one). And I have dealt with some who have been the opposite. The grief is not worth it to me. But if the place with the lower price has a reputation for being reliable and dependable, it's a hard choice. In this economy price makes a difference.

hoser
03-16-2010, 04:33 AM
I agree with coinnut and Angie. Also I would make a day of it and just go to his shop and pick them up. If you haven't done that already. Get to talk to him face to face and you might just be surprised at the future deals he could send your way. I like going on those day trips anyway so I guess thats why I mentioned it.

del
03-16-2010, 05:55 AM
id say tell the local guy you could pick the item up cheaper than he quoted but would like to do business with him and
ask if he'll split the difference with ya , but thats just me . just to let ya know i'm a frenchmen and we're notorious for causing trouble . lol lol lol

Lowjiber
03-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Small, local shops are really hurting right now. In the south S.F. Bay area, our long-time local dealer had to shut his doors for good on March 1st...a trend that is likely to continue. Margins are being cut by distributors, fixed costs are increasing, and retail sales are down.

The owner (my friend) told me that he lost money the last nine months of 2009, and the trend was continuing into 2010. I've always supported him, buying most of my detectors and almost all of my accessories from him.

With your guy being 150 miles away, I'd not consider him local. I realize Idaho is sparsely populated, and there are likely few dealers per square mile. However, if he is going to survive he'll need to figure out how to compete. That's pretty hard core, but times are rough everywhere for everyone.

I'd go with the on-line ($109) merchandise.

RickO
03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Always a tough decision. I deal now with online dealers since there are no MD shops here. I find though, that personal contact and repeat business can definitely get one some pricing deals. I usually go with the best price/delivery. Most of the time, it is the same dealer(s) that give the best deals. RickO

Ferrous
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I called my local dealer and he knocked a couple of dollars off what he originally quoted me so I ordered the phones from him. Should be here the first of the week. Now, if there was some way to speed up the melting of the snow. :)
Thank you for your input everyone.
Ferrous