PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Snapolson
05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I was out today in New Haven at a small park. I never hit it before and it was producing nothing but crappy signals and trash, not to mention getting to see dozens of little tiny baggies left on the ground from all the drug dealing! :thumbsdown:

I found a few coins but nothing old. On the way back to my car I was looking down and lo and behold, a shiny nickel! As I bent over to get a closer look, I couldn't believe my eyes! I clearly saw a buffalo! Wow! A buffalo nickel lying right on the ground!! That's never happened to me before, except a Wheat penny now and then. Woo hoo!!! :happydance01: I snapped the pic the second I saw it. It could NOT have been sitting there since the 30's. It wasn't even dirty. The only thing I can think of is that some kid who collected coins may have dropped it on the way somewhere!

As I was getting ready to put my gear in the car this young guy came up and asked me if I found anything. I showed him the nickel and he proceeded to tell me about his yard and all the old metal bits he found diggin to make a garden. He invited me to come over and check out the yard. His house was built around 1870 and there's a huge tree in the back. I beeped around for a while but the yard was SO trashy. I could hardly pin down a good signal on the T2. Not sure how to handle such a metal filled yard. I did manage to find the spoon labeled Woolworth's and a 1919 Wheat penny, along with a few other metal bits. He said I could come back again and hit the yard some more. I sure hope I can find a silver or two among the trash. Thanks for looking and happy hunting out there!! :groovy:

AmxFred
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Nice Buffalo. It looks like it was just dropped. |:cheering:

CODY
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
:wow: Awesome nickel! I don't think the T2 is much different from my F75. I have learned to turn down the sensitivity. You can turn it down to the 30 or 40's and still not lose depth. I generally run mine on 70. Anyway, congrats on the finds.

Cheap Thrills
05-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice going on the Buffalo nickel .The 5 coil is nice for picking thru trash .

aloldstuff
05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Nice eyeball on the buff. Heres hoping that the yard can produce for you, looks like you got some tips on how to hunt in the trash.

Fire Fighter 43
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
That's cool nice find |:cheering:

Rob L
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Congrats on the nice finds. Its not to often that you come across a Buffalo with a date, and in good condition.

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2012, 12:35 PM
What a funny find, good luck pickin through that trash.

jkress
05-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Wow... right on top of the ground. :shocked04: Probably what it was like detecting back in 40's. rofl

mike l
05-19-2012, 08:47 PM
That nickel is in great shape, right on the surface :wow:. Makes you wonder how it got there. Reminds me of when I was going through my liquor cabinet and found a dime, turned out to be a silver rosie!