PDA

View Full Version : What will you pay to have fun?

CODY
05-19-2012, 02:21 PM
You know, I have had a lot of hobbies in my time. And to be honest, they all got expensive. I can remember when I got into old toy trains. The old Lionel trains were bad enough. But try buying some of the new ones. Sound, smoke, smell, you name it. Price around $1000.00 and up. Just for an engine! :crazy: Got into RC planes, same deal. You can pay what you want. Then came metal detecting. Spent $400.00 on a Fisher F4, $1500.00 on a Fisher F75 ltd. Was thinking about a AT Pro for $600.00 because its waterproof. Now look what they've done gone and done!!!!! Minelab CTX 3030. Seems the answer to everything! :beerbuddy: Water proof to 10 ft like the AT Pro. Wireless. All the bells and whistles! $2,500 to $3,000. :wow: What to do, what to do. C'mon, how many you guys are on the list? I want to hear some feed back! Won't be long. May have to sell my Jeep! Hahahaha

OxShoeDrew
05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Seems to me you're finding lots of stuff with your current arsenal.....but I know what you mean. I'm eyeing a Safari, just when I learned my machine. :-\ It would be my fourth in 18 months. They got me :dontknow:

Epi-hunter
05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I would like one. But $3000 is steep. I want to see some real user reviews before I take the plunge. I don't do much water detecting, unfortunately.

Plus, my E-Trac is currently collecting dust because I don't have time to use it. :-\ Can't justify it right now.

I think I will wait to hear Angel's review when he gets his hands on one. :yes: Based on his experience with both the E-Trac and the Excal.

CyberSage
05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I should have my hands on one in the next month. I just can't resist a new detecting toy, especially one that has the discrimination features of the CTX 3030. I have always wanted a water machine, but could not really justify it. Even if it is not any better than the E-Trac, the display will be easier on my eyes. I got really spoiled with the V3 color display. The fact that you can use your own headphones with the wireless unit is very appealing to me. This is a far better wireless design. I am currently seeing prices at just over $2000 for the basic unit. Actually not that bad. Should be a lot of fun.

Jack

Fire Fighter 43
05-20-2012, 01:46 PM
When I look at all my hobbies I've invested well over $3000 for the for each one and the only one that pays me back is metal detecting. Hunting I only hunt about 6 days a year for about 9 hours each day. Golfing I play about 25 18 hole rounds per year at 4-5 hours per round. My golf Equipement is top of the line and I have over $3500 invested plus a round of golf is anywhere from $30-$100 for the courses I play. My point is I detected well over 200 hours last year and Ive made money. So to spend $2500 for a new detector that will replace the two I have (Etrac and Excal II) it is a no brainier for me. If I even get close to what I will be asking for the two plus the extras for each I wil actually come out ahead.

aloldstuff
05-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm just getting the hang of the V3i. I'll be darned if I am going to spend all that money for a CTX 3030 and have a new learning curve. Maybe I can talk Rob into getting one rofl.

Metal detectors will always be evolving, better and better with the price point going up. For now, I am very satisfied with what the V3i can do.

Vito
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
What I've learned is, wait a year or so. And watch ebuy what they will sell for. Not to speak about all the fails and errors and...

Still learned the lesson. :yes: :grin:

CaptKirk
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Depends on the hobby, IMHO. I have no problems buying the best I can possibly afford and sometimes can't afford but buy anyway when it comes to hobby equipment. My vent figures cost between $2500 - $3000 each so spending around a grand on a nice detector doesn't bother me one iota (it BOTHERS my wife of 41 years - but she knows that my hobbies help keep me feeling young and happy so she tolerates me MOST of the time:shocked04:) One $10K diamond ring find and I'm sure she'll let me buy ANY detector I want:shocked04:)

RaZR
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm going to say that i'm going to be happy just sticking with the E-trac for land hunting as it seems to find plenty of silver coins and rings for me. And i have an older BHID for water hunting that seems to find all kinds of coins and jewelry in the water. The two of them together cost me less than $1500.00 including a set of wireless headphones for the E-trac. So until i find that $10,000 dollar ring i'm not spending $3,000 for a detector! And this is my only hobby. I've got a set of golf clubs that i got new five years ago that i haven't used yet. :crazy: