PDA

View Full Version : Marine Button!

sniffy
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I FINNALY DID IT...MY FIRST MILITARY BUTTON! I headed back up to the spot I just found the capped bust dime (in the pouring rain). I spent half the day up there and managed 5 buttons and this brass clamp whatsit. This area is huge and it will take a long time to go over all of it. But the highlight of the day was this naval button. It appears to be Civil War era. Scovill's Waterbury backmark. I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time. This button is very awesome and will look great in my collection. I feel relieved, my top goal of the year has been acheived. Any military button. Once again, going out in the pouring rain has paid off. Spring is here and I won't be free to go out in the week anymore. Work season is back and will only be going out on weekends. I'm very happy to acheive my goal before my time is cut in half. Thanks for looking.

Epi-hunter
03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats!! That is a beautiful find. Great photos! I hope to find one someday...

John M
03-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Nice find Jesse.Looks like that place has a good range of age to it by the buttons.

del
03-16-2010, 06:01 AM
you moonlighting again without Dave again . lol lol nice marine button , clean her up a bit and i could give ya a positive
i'd on what variety and date .

sniffy
03-16-2010, 06:07 AM
you moonlighting again without Dave again . lol lol nice marine button , clean her up a bit and i could give ya a positive
i'd on what variety and date .
Nope not at all. Just metal detecting. The button is being stubborn, I'm having a hard time cleaning it up.

del
03-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Nope not at all. Just metal detecting. The button is being stubborn, I'm having a hard time cleaning it up.

hey to help me out i need to know the size in mm , how many stars are on the front and what is says exactly
on the back. :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
hey to help me out i need to know the size in mm , how many stars are on the front and what is says exactly
on the back. :grin:

Hey Dan,
this button below is one i found and showed Jesse.he agreed it's the same.
since he can't get better pics of his.i posted mine.
pre-civil war marine button?

del
03-16-2010, 07:09 AM
is it the same size Dave (23mm) , scovill mfg. waterbury , 13 star , if its all the same then 1850-1865 yeah most likely
pre-civil war to about the time the war broke out. thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
is it the same size Dave (23mm) , scovill mfg. waterbury , 13 star , if its all the same then 1850-1865 yeah most likely
pre-civil war to about the time the war broke out. thumbsup01

is that a serpent in upper left? :confused:

del
03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
is that a serpent in upper left? :confused:

what :huh: are we looking at the same button :huh: not suppose to be any serpent just an eagle and anchor

coinnut
03-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Does kinda look like a snake lol Either way, congrats on your first military button. Hope that site continues to get some good hits for you.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Does kinda look like a snake lol Either way, congrats on your first military button. Hope that site continues to get some good hits for you.

that's a retarted lookin eagle if it has a neck like that.looks like a serpent to me :rolleyes:

coinnut
03-18-2010, 09:06 AM
that's a retarted lookin eagle if it has a neck like that.looks like a serpent to me :rolleyes:

Yep, them wings are hanging low lol Looks like a sick dragon to me. Who got that engraving job? ;)