PDA

View Full Version : Hi...new to the forum in Virginia

w4uvvjw
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
:confused:Hi, I am a new member to this forum. I live about 5 miles from the Petersburg National Battlefield Park, Petersburg, VA in Prince George County. My metal detecting interests are Civil War and coin hunting.

I am retired federal civil service and worked for what originally was the US Army Computer Systems Command at Ft. Lee, VA which is located next to the NBP near Petersburg, VA.

I live alone on 1 1/2 acres literally across the road from an used portion of Ft. Lee. There was fighting which occurred in the summer/fall of 1864 in my immediate area as I found a fired Confederate .57 caliber distended ball and 3 dropped Yankee bullets on my property all within 75 ft. of each other. Soon after crossing the James River the Yankees marched to and occupied the Prince George County CH and encamped in the area. The Confederates were also active in the area which is far outside from the Dimmock Line. They conducted skirmish hit and run fighting. One of those skirmishes occurred close to and possibly on my property. Subsequently as the Yankee troop's presence increased the Confederates slowly repositioned their lines, i.e., retiring closer and closer to the Dimmock line near Petersburg. Unfortunately for various reasons usually involving past bad experiences with relic hunters it is extremely difficult to obtain permission to search on most resident's property in the general area.

I always look forward to meeting others having the same interest. I also am a long time amateur radio operator and have had a second career doing private and commercial satellite tv installations, maintenance and teleconference signal downlinking. I occasionally write satellite communication related articles of interest. I had a 4 page feature article with pictures published in Monitoring Times magazine, a worldwide publication, in the December, 2011 issue. The subject was off air tv programing reception of a Russain geostationary satellite which was directed to Europe and Cuba which I was able to receive...a good ole days type article.

My email addresses are either < w4uvv@comcast.net > or < w4uvv@amsat.org >.

John
W4UVV

aloldstuff
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
John, welcome to the forum from western MA. Sounds like you have some very interesting interests. I also am running with the V3i, had it about a year. It's a big difference from the Prizm IV I was using. Looking forward to your future posts and finds.

del
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
hello John , one of my first jobs was installing satelite dishes way back in the early 80's its amazing how far the electronics have come since then . Virginia is one of my places i've always wanted to detect as the history was so busy with so many happenings ( early colonial , Revolutionary ,1812 and Civil War action) . welcome to the forum John and its nice to have you here .

Dan

angellionel
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist John. Glad to have you with us.

Fire Fighter 43
05-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. Sounds like you are surrounded by history, too bad it is tough to get permission. HH

jkress
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome aboard John. It's great you joined our group. :clapping:

CODY
05-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post and finds.

MassDirtFisher
05-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome from Western Massachusetts. Happy Hunting!!

Lowjiber
05-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Interesting bio, John. Thanks.

Welcome from southern Nevada.

OxShoeDrew
05-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Wow, a CW battle right in your back yard. Welcome from CT. |:cheering: