PDA

View Full Version : 35-50 and E-Trac question

DirtFisher
05-24-2012, 01:42 AM
I have a little ball field near me where I just pulled 7 deep silvers and maybe 15 deep wheats. There were several targets that I passed up that had a consistent 35-50 in QM. My question is, since this spot has produced old coins, including a WLH, should I got back and dig those 35-50's?

I'm thinking that so far I've only gotten the low-hanging fruit and it might be time to dig the other stuff.

mntnflyr4fun
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
dig em........

jkress
08-11-2012, 01:12 AM
I would say... absolutely dig them and see what they are. Especially in an area known for deep goodies.

I'm not completely familiar with the E-Trac number system, but I do know that plenty of keepers fall in the mid 30 to upper 40 range for your machine.

When there is a trash item with a coin under the coil and/or depth factored in... perfect numbers go out the window. If the target
is a 6 or more inch high tone and you can rule it out as a ferrous item = DIG. Slow, short coil movements will give you lots of information
as you circle the hole investigating. :yes:

chief5709
08-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I would dig one to confirm it's iron.

Dig EM
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
I got some strange hits like that once in a ball field. Kept giving me mixed results so I just passed and went on, then got same hit again, then again and again. Finally dug one to find out what was giving so many hit like that. Turned out to be an iron rivit head with a brass or copper washer stuck to it. I started digging all of them I came across, 38 in total that day. Turns out that way long ago there was a steam tractor that got a runaway boiler and they drove it into this field and just let it go, the boiler exploded and hence the rivit heads everywhere.

freemindstuck
08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I got some strange hits like that once in a ball field. Kept giving me mixed results so I just passed and went on, then got same hit again, then again and again. Finally dug one to find out what was giving so many hit like that. Turned out to be an iron rivit head with a brass or copper washer stuck to it. I started digging all of them I came across, 38 in total that day. Turns out that way long ago there was a steam tractor that got a runaway boiler and they drove it into this field and just let it go, the boiler exploded and hence the rivit heads everywhere.

That's a cool story Dig EM! It shows that it pays to research the areas that you hunt.