PDA

View Full Version : garrett pinpointer problem

lee
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
ive had my pinpointer for 3 months now and its just started making a noise like an old english police car......any idears whats wrong with it folks ?

del
05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
with all the digging you've done lately , i'd say its worn out from all the exercise lol lol

Lee have you swap a fresh battery in it yet ?? :dontknow: i'm not too familiar with the garrets , maybe some one can help out .

Dan

CODY
05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I've been using the same one now for 1 year. So far so good. Couple of things I did discover. Make sure all dirt is removed from the outside. If there is dried mud piled up it can lessen the distance it will pick up. Make sure the speaker holes are clear of dirt. Mine has made a strange noise now and then. But, a little bump here or there always seems to surfice. I have to catch my self sometimes trying to use it as a digging tool, Ha. Probably not good for it. So far, I am pleased!

MartinL
05-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I have two of these, and the older one does buzz more and isn't as sharp as the newer one. I have been inside of a Pro Pointer. The mechanism for the vibration is less than robust in design IMO, so I will accept the changes until it stops. I believe that most all of them will evolve this condition. Garretts should have upgraded both the on off switch and the vibrator, but it is what it is. Garretts is good on their out of warranty repair costs and I happen to live close to the factory, so it is less of an issue for me. One day is all it takes when I get a repair. martin

lee
05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
thanks folks , and yes del ive tried changing to new batterys and its still the same......its realy odd , it will be working fine then its like its had to much contaked with the target and begins to sound off like an alarm almost , it realy does sound like a police car from england like.......NE NA NE NA NE NA ( what a terrable impersonation of a police car .... but you should hear my britney spears !!!!!)

jkress
05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
.NE NA NE NA NE NA

That is the exact sound mine makes when the battery is almost dead. However, when I replace the battery in mine... everything works normal again. I always figured it was a 'Low Battery Alert'.

By the way, I don't think I could have described the sound as well as you did. lol :clapping:

Ill Digger
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
That is the exact sound mine makes when the battery is almost dead. However, when I replace the battery in mine... everything works normal again. I always figured it was a 'Low Battery Alert'.

By the way, I don't think I could have described the sound as well as you did. lol :clapping:
lol I'm with Joe on this one. :yes:
Both with;
1) Fresh batteries usually solve the police siren sound effects.
2) I don't think I could have described the sound any better than you did either. lol

milco
05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I have had the same issue with low battery and that fixed it.

CODY
05-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Me too!

carl2112
05-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Mine will start chirping or falsing sometimes. For no reason I usually just turn it off then back on again and that fixes it. But the bigger issue is if I press to hard in the bottom of a hole on hard ground or when I'm cleaning off the caked on mud and dirt if I squeeze to hard it will also start falseing. Its still under warranty I've only had it about 4 months and its been this way since I first got it. So I think its a remanufactured one but I plan on sending it in before my warranties up. I'll probably wait till the winter months to do it since it still works for now