PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Texas!

Kuletule
05-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi to everyone! I am Dennis Wynne, a retired firefighter from Fort Worth, Texas and in my second career as an insurance adjuster/private investigator, and I have metal detected since 1974......38 years and counting. I love this hobby of ours, and have found many great items through the years, including several caches, along with jewelry, relics, coins and an occasional whatsit.

The beauty of my second career, is that I get to go to places all over, where our rich and robust history has played out through the centuries. My oldest coin to date was found last year, in Virginia; an 1807/06 Capped Bust Penny. Darn it! Now I shall be unlikely to EVER find another coin as old, unless I go to England, or back to the Northeast!

I mainly hunt old homesites, out in the country, but do make forays into cities, in order to raid and pillage! I have been many times to hunt for gold, and have used a dredge, as well as panning, crevassing, and just nugget hunting, from California, to Alaska.

Hope to make some new friends here, and perhaps I may be able to share a bit from time to time.

HH

Dennis

CODY
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Welcome from Mississippi Dennis. Welcome to the forum. I too am a retired firefighter. And strange enough, about the last 6 years as a firefighter I had a part-time PI business. I have been a police officer for the last 13 years. I got a brother that lives in Spring, just north of Houston. A sister that lives in Arrlington. I use to live in Richarson, just outside of Dallas. Glad to have you here and will be looking forward to your post and finds.

Fire Fighter 43
05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Welcome Dennis, I see you took me up on my offer to check us out. I'm glad you joined us, with all your experience I'm looking forward to your input.
Jeff

Ill Digger
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey Dennis :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:
I gotta tell ya some of your trips and endeavors are spot on with my bucket list! :cool: :envious:
I can hardly wait to see and hear about some of your finds........ :->

del
05-27-2012, 11:47 PM
hello Dennis , welcome
hey the drape bust penny is a great coin got any pictures ?? i would love to hear about those caches you've found , glad you found us here .

Dan

Kuletule
05-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Here you go Del. Here is a couple of pics. Though she is corroded a bit, she is still a beauty..... I found her in Portsmouth, Virginia, in the historic district there. Hard to believe that Thomas Jefferson was President when she was turned out......

In the closeup, you can see the loop of the 6 on the bottom right of the 7.

Thanks for the welcome, and perhaps I might share one or two stories of my caches. Two were from the same site, and the largest was only $323.81, but had two $20 Gold Coins.....anyway, thanks again.

HH

Dennis

aloldstuff
05-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Dennis, great looking LC. 38 years swinging a detector is definatly an accomplishment. Glad that you found us and looking forward to your future posts. Your story of the cashe with 2 twenty dollar gold coins is something. What was the breakdown of the remaining 283.81 coin wise? Did you just stumble upon it or was it from some story that you heard?

Lowjiber
05-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Glad to have you aboard. Welcome from southern Nevada.

Tony Two-Cent
05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome from Illinois! It sounds like you have a lot of experience under your belt and a lot of great stories to tell. That 1807/6 Large Cent is a beauty indeed! The overdate is clear as a bell. That cache sounds like the kind of hunt dreams are made of! WOW!

Glad to have you here, Dennis! I'm really looking forward to seeing your finds and hearing your stories!

OxShoeDrew
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
You certainly have a nice resume ....I'm looking forward to your posts. You'll fit right in with all these knowledgeable people. Welcome from the nutmeg state. |:cheering:

jkress
05-30-2012, 12:23 AM
First... welcome aboard Kuletule. :clapping: It is very nice to have you here with us.

Second... I absolutely love the 1806/7 copper. :smitten:

Third... Please do tell about he caches. Especially the one including two Double Eagles. :-> :-> :-> |:confused:)

$323.81 must have had some very nice coinage included. Please let us know. :)