PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market 20 Center!

Beefcake
05-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Today I was going to try to sell a few of my coins because I wanted to buy a buddy of mine's gold from him, so I went to the guys that I usually deal with at the flea market. I've found some really good deals there over the years and today was just plain awesome!! He didn't have much money for buying today, so I noticed a coin that he must have just got in recently in his case. He said he just got it yesterday and it was something that I've always wanted to find detecting, but chances are slim... ALTHOUGH, I did see a great specimen of this coin on this forum! There sat a beautiful 1875 Seated 20 cent piece. I had a few coins that I had brought with me that I had found to sell and asked if he'd be interested in a trade. Turns out I got it for a 1914 D Barber dime which still had mint luster on it and a 1955 Franklin half, also very clean and crisp key date for the Franklins. I wasn't sure exactly what it booked for at the time, but I couldn't believe it when I got home!!! Score!!! I love this coin! I know it's not a MDing find, but I did use finds to trade up for it! Too hot to hunt today, so I went hunting at the Flea Market!

Ill Digger
05-27-2012, 11:53 PM
.... but I couldn't believe it when I got home!!! Score!!!
Score? :shocked01: You stole that thing! :shocked04: <: lol
Great deal Brian!! I too hope to one day find one of those babies with my detector :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

CODY
05-28-2012, 04:35 AM
:wow: That is one beautiful coin! Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
05-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Very cool and unual coin, Brian! Great score for you! :perfect10:

I doubt if I will ever find one with my detector, but I did own a twenty cent piece for about 24 hours one time. I went to a local estate auction in the early 1980s that had old coins listed. They had a twenty cent piece and I ended up winning it for $25. The next day there was a knock at my door and when I answered an older gentleman asked me if I was the person who had won the twenty cent piece at the previous day's auction. I told him yes, and he told me that he had always wanted one and offered me $50 for it on the spot! At the time I was young and $25 profit seemed better than owning the coin so I sold it to him. I haven't owned one since.

Anyway, I think you got a great deal on that coin! Congrats, Brian! :happydance01:

Fire Fighter 43
05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
:wow: I just looked that one up, that is one hell of a flea market find, WTG

Beefcake
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
It seems that in the 80's the price of them was rather stagnant, but they have recently had a real spike in their value. To dig one of these would be a find of a lifetime. Even though they were made for 4 years, they were only released to the public for 2 of them. The people despised these coins when they were used because merchants were losing alot of their money because of their similarity to the quarter. Even though the mintage was low to begin with...most were then melted back down and turned into quarters. That's why the value of them just keeps going up. Someone on our Ohio detecting forum found one a week or so ago. Many people have never even heard of the 20 center. There was another guy at the stand that was eyeballing it as I had it in my hand...

aloldstuff
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Nice score you old horse trader you. Finding one would be a fantastic find considering the low mintage and only being minted for a couple of years. Good eyes and a very smart move on your part. Congrats

Rob L
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Its a beautiful coin. Congrats on your flee market find, or rather steal. |:cheering:

serega
06-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Sorry I can not sell my coins in the U.S. flea markets :dontknow:
If I had access there, i quickly amassed a fortune and had a bag of money :happy:

Why write our laws are idiots >:{ ? Why can not I take old coins from Ukraine ? crying01