PDA

View Full Version : Memorial weekend

DennisH
05-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Went camping this weekend and meet with Joe all three days to do some metal detecting. The first day I had a whooping 1/2 hour before Joe was due so I went to a site that we had hit before to kill that 1/2 hour and glad I did. In the first 15 mins. I got a deep hit that when I seen it in the whole I thought it was a nickel, then realized it was to green so I then was hoping it was a 2 cent piece. Got it out of the hole, gave it a good spit bath and seen it was a token, I was thinking a good token. Joe showed up and asked if I had any luck and I said yes, I think an old token. He looked at it (his eyes are alot better then mine) rubbed it a little, looks at me adn says it's a half cent, where did I get it. My first half cent, WooHoo!!! We then went to a road rip up and I fot a worn Barber dime, a rosy, 6 wheats and a nice 1893 Indian, a great day!!!

Day two Joe dragged me kicking and screaming with the Excaliber II for some water hunting. Less the a half hour into it I look at Joe, he says what you got? I nod my head, he says your kidding, I shake my head nope, are you serious? I nod my head yep. He said silver? i nod my nope and say it's what we are looking for. WooHoo, my fist gold ring water detecting.

The half cent looks kinda funky right now, it was soaking in olive oi before the picl, not sure how to clean it with out ruining it:huh::huh:thinkingabout: Its a 1:eyebrow:7 i think.

MassDirtFisher
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice finds!!! Sweet Baby Copper and some GOLD!!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

MinelabIowa
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I am still on cloud nine. The 14 k gold ring is super. We pulled 7 rings from our beach hunt plus a pile of clad coins. Planning our next water hunting trip now! Congrats Dennis!

Fire Fighter 43
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
:wow: Congrats on the GOLD and two center, WTG |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
05-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Very , very , very nice !! :clapping: |:cheering:

jkress
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
You found a Half Cent around here. |:confused:) :clapping:
Congratulation Dennis. Your Memorial Day camping trip was a winner.

Great job on your first water gold. <: Joe was itching to get the jet ski out.

Half Cent around my hunting grounds? Gives me hope for another first. :daydream:

DennisH
05-29-2012, 08:43 AM
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
You found a Half Cent around here. |:confused:) :clapping:
Congratulation Dennis. Your Memorial Day camping trip was a winner.

Great job on your first water gold. <: Joe was itching to get the jet ski out.

Half Cent around my hunting grounds? Gives me hope for another first. :daydream:

Thanks Joe and yes it is around your hunting grounds, sorry (not realy, hee hee). You could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out what it was. You have sure got some super old history around there and I bet there are more!!! Next time I am in your neck of the woods we should hook up and do some hunting. :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Dennis, 2 firsts, congrats. The 1/2 cent still eludes me. The GOLD ring is fantastic. Bet you won't be screaming and kicking going to the next water hunt....

CODY
05-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Awesome finds, Congrats!

milco
05-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Congrats on the finds, can't believe you found a half cent in Iowa, that's awesome, WOW!

Tony Two-Cent
05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Huge congrats on the Half Cent! That's a fantastic find! :perfect10:

They minted them up until 1857 so it is possible to find them here in the midwest. Definitely a coin that is on my bucket list!

Congrats on the great find, Dennis! <:

(And the gold too!)

mike l
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Congrats on the 1/2 cent, not a common find :clapping: