PDA

View Full Version : Saxon Sunday

UK55
05-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Hello...

I have been quite busy of late so not had to much time to post, we managed to get a hunt in sunday gone, any type of metal detecting this time of year in the UK is a real bonus. :shocked04:

We were working a field that has seen a lot of detectorists over the las few weeks, but it's a fantastic area that produces lots of Anglo Saxon coins, and after only ten minutes I had one. :omg:

The coin is that of the Saxon Ruler.
Eadberht, king of Northumbria, AD 737-758. The coin is only 13mm in diameter and they can certainly stay hidden from the coil. I also managed a cut Silver, Henry II cross and crosslet ('Tealby') cut halfpenny. So called because of a huge hoard of them found (6,000) in Tealby Lincolnshire.

<:

aloldstuff
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Being able to get those coins after a bunch of detectorist have already hit the field is great. Congrats on getting the oldies. We, on the other hand can only read about those very early finds.

Cheap Thrills
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Very nice finds and photos . Thanks for sharing . I'm glad you were able to find something that was left , I kinow how it is to hunt pounded ground. What kind of detector and coil were you using ( I'm always curious ) ? :perfect10: |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

UK55
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Very nice finds and photos . Thanks for sharing . I'm glad you were able to find something that was left , I kinow how it is to hunt pounded ground. What kind of detector and coil were you using ( I'm always curious ) ? :perfect10: |:cheering: :beerbuddy:
Detector is the XP Goldmaxx power, great for small coins. The coil is a standard 9, the soil is highly miniralised on this site, so these coins are very easiely missed, you have to sweep the coil ultra slow, and pick out very srcratchy signals that outhers would ignore.

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/gold_maxxpower_review.htm

:beerbuddy:

CODY
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
WTG Very nice finds. Congrats!

Fire Fighter 43
05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
:wow: Very nice congrats on the silver |:cheering:

del
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: what a great coin :smitten: :smitten: did you have to declare it UK55 ??

jkress
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh my... :shocked04: :clapping: :smitten:
Just incredible. |:confused:)

I can't imagine holding such pieces of history in my hands. :smitten:

UK55
06-07-2012, 02:35 AM
:shocked04:stretcher: what a great coin :smitten: :smitten: did you have to declare it UK55 ??
Hi Del....No, this does not fall under the treasure act, if I had found two or more of the same time period then yes it would have. :groovy:

del
06-07-2012, 03:29 AM
i understand the one side of the coin and can almost read the ruler's name , can you shed any light on the meaning of the motif on the other side ??

Dan

DennisH
06-07-2012, 07:08 AM
What great finds, I gotta get to the UK and hunt!!!

UK55
06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
i understand the one side of the coin and can almost read the ruler's name , can you shed any light on the meaning of the motif on the other side ??

Dan
Yes Del I can and only to glad to, the obverse shows a stylised stag, or fantastic animal as it's also known. The anglo saxons and vikings were obsessed with beasts and animals, and used them in there designs, or art work in many forms of jewelry, and coins.
Often the artwork was very complexed and somtimes the beasts intertwinded, I find the saxon period of britain very fasanating indeed :omg:..
The picture below is of one of the most Famous Saxon Artifacts ever found here, King Alfred Saxon Jewel, from the late 9th century :shocked04:
Note the complex Animal/beast dipiction of the head.. :omg: