PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Digging with the Old Man

z118
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
My dad came to town for a visit over the holiday weekend, and we managed to get in some good swing time. I've only been out once in the past month, so I was pretty surprised to find the dirt as bone dry as it was... digging was rough if not impossible in several of the spots we hit. We both had a little bit of luck, myself more with coins and my dad more with jewelry. I did score two silvers, a dozen wheats, two Buffs, and a 1903 Belgium 10 Cen coin.

One of the spots we hunted I had tried before and posted about here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=5546.msg66036#msg66036

On the advice of the forum I figured there had to be some silver there somewhere, and between my dad and I the chances were good we'd find some. This time we hunted away from the picnic areas and more in the woods. Within 10 minutes I hit a blaring 12-47 that I figured would be a can but low and behold it proved to be a sweet '43 quarter. That got us both pretty excited but we hunted another 2-3 hours with NOTHING to show for it other than 4 pennies, a clad quarter, and some shells, casings, bullets, and junk. I don't know how I can find silver that fast in such a huge area and then get nothing for so long afterwards... it's either very good or very bad luck and I'm not sure which.

Anyway, it was great getting out with the old man. Hopefully he'll post his finds... I know he was planning on hitting some more spots on the long trip home. Here's also hoping we get some rain soon too.

Happy hunting...

Tony Two-Cent
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Congrats on the wonderful finds, and the time you got to spend with your dad! You will always look back fondly on these moments, and the terrific finds just make them that much more memorable.

Great story and finds! Thanks for sharing! :clapping:

mike l
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice silver finds, and that old foreign coin is cool too :peace:

dalewestaby
05-30-2012, 04:49 AM
coool finds, ive yet to find a silver quarter

CODY
05-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Nice finds! Congrats!

milco
05-30-2012, 07:19 AM
What a great hunt! Congrats!

aloldstuff
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Great post and by the way, it's good luck. Nice that you got some swing time in with your dad. Congrats on the silver

Fire Fighter 43
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt and silver. It's beat that ou got to get some hunt time with your father. WTG |:cheering:

DennisH
05-31-2012, 05:37 AM
Hunting with faimly and great finds. Winner!!!!! :peace: