PDA

View Full Version : SO THRILLING IT ALMOST HURTS!

z118
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Well... it was a beautiful day in upstate NY. We had just listed our house for sale, and had received and offer, and had countered with an offer good until 9pm today. Rather than sit around and stew in my own anxiety I got out for some swing time. I headed to a wooded spot that gave up a nice Merc, a Buff, many wheats, and a sweet 2 cent piece in earlier hunts this year. The last few hunts at this spot had not been productive but it seemed like something had to still be there somewhere. My first target really got me going - a nice, deep sounding tone coming in at 12-47. It proved to be a junk aluminum Love ring. Things got better from there though, as I picked up a modern penny spill, a few wheats, a large postage tag, part of an old key, and a few older dog tags. After a fashion and in a brush riddled, tangled, mucky spot I hit a chirpy tone, pulled a plug, and up pops a coin... it looked like silver, but I didn't recognize the back... I saw the date and nearly soiled myself. This is my oldest silver by nearly 40 years. Word can not describe. I called my Dad to share the thrill as he is the only person I know who would understand (other than you forum folks).

I cleaned up my finds when I got home... The large postage tag is one of the cooler relics I've found. Any thoughts on it (including age) would be appreciated. The two dog tags are neat too - I wonder if FRPT 639 J is an old phone number? The wheats are from 1917, 19, and 23. The dime is worn and beat up but I am still thrilled to have found it.

AND... our counter offer was accepted! To sell one's house and find a 1838 seated dime in the same day... like the title says it almost hurts!

Thanks in advance for sharing in my excitement!

thumbsup01

EDIT - It's not a postage tag, but a fob for a hotel key apparently, to the Grand Hotel in Fergus Falls, destroyed in 1919! The key piece was right next to where I found it... I wonder if I missed the rest of the key?

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/otter/id/257

Tony Two-Cent
05-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Wow, you must be on cloud nine! http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Smilies/cloud9.gif

Congrats on selling your house so quickly, AND for making some great finds! :wow:

That 1838 Seated Dime is a thing of beauty! We rarely see older US silver coins posted here! Incredible coin! <:

Thanks for sharing all of your great news! I am happy for you! :clapping:

CODY
05-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Awespme seated! Love the dog tag. Great finds. Congrats!

milco
05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Neat finds, congrats on the early seated! To me the most outstanding find the Fergus Falls mail tag, truly an amazing piece, I just wish I knew more about it. My first hobby and passion is philately and postal history, so that is a cool find to me!

Fire Fighter 43
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
:wow: The seated is a great find, WTG |:cheering:

dalewestaby
05-31-2012, 04:45 AM
Sweet finds. NIce dog tag :boxing:

aloldstuff
05-31-2012, 05:02 AM
Congrats on getting your oldest silver yet. There is a large star and a small star variety with the 1838 dimes. You got yourself some very neat items. I would definately be hunting there again.

DennisH
05-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Sweet 1838 Dime!!! a Find of a life time!!!! I lihe the dog tag too! :perfect10:

Snapolson
05-31-2012, 08:18 AM
WOW! The Seated coin is great! Congrats on your finds and the selling of your place. Hope you'll still be local and be able to go back and hit that place some more. :yes:

jkress
05-31-2012, 11:28 PM
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Awesome finds Z. :peace: A bunch of great keepers but my favorite is
definitely the dime. Can't find Seated dimes much earlier than that. :happydance01:

Epi-hunter
06-01-2012, 02:58 AM
She is a beauty z :smitten: Very nice recovery of a great old coin :clapping: That had to have you hyperventilating :yes:

Hook
06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
wow what a hunt Zman!! ya did good! :perfect10:

congrats on such a great seated. i can only wish for a coin like that under my coil lol
thanks for sharing your excitement and good fortune.

Ill Digger
06-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I bet it's more like John Cougar's Hurts So Good! <: :happydance01: lol
Thats one great all round hunt! I mean you found a little bit of everything. :cool:
Those are the best kinda hunts! :yes: thumbsup01
Sweet huntin' & finds Z!!
Congrats! :grin:

del
06-02-2012, 07:12 AM
40 years .... thats quite a leap to beat a record by Z congrats on the early seated and great relics |:confused:) :clapping: :clapping:

nachotreasure
06-05-2012, 06:50 AM
If I'm not mistaken, your postage tag, looks to me to be a hotel key tag to room #27. Cool find either way!