PDA

View Full Version : Five Silvers and some older Indian Heads today - June 2, 2012

Tony Two-Cent
06-02-2012, 04:35 PM
We finally got some much needed rain here, and I had a free day today so I got up before dawn to head out detecting. I was driving to a park that I had hunted a few weekends ago, but on my way I noticed a ball field that had an old pavilion and some large trees behind it. After I exited the highway and drove behind the ball field I could tell that it was actually a fairly large park with huge old trees. So, I decided that I would try hunting there for an hour and if I didn't find anything I would continue on to my original destination.

Well, I never made it to my original destination. ;)

I started in the general vacinity of the old pavilion, and within 5 minutes I found an Indian Head. I didn't check the date, I just put it in my pocket. Over the next 45 minutes I found two more Indian Heads. Again I just put them in my pocket. After a while I started to get too warm, so I went to my car to remove my sweatshirt. While I was at my car I decided to put my glasses on and check the dates on the 3 Indian Heads. Holy cow! Two 1874s and an 1881! It is very unusual for me to find Indian Heads from the 1870s, in my lifetime I had previously only found 2 and they were both really toasted. The ones I found today came out of the ground looking very nice!

So I continued hunting and eventually found another Indian Head, this one was dated 1876! Then I found two Barber Dimes that were about 10 feet apart. Both are very worn and they rang up like wheat cents on the E-Trac at 12-42.

By the end of my 6 hour hunt I had 4 Indian Heads, 7 wheat cents, 2 Barber Dimes, 2 Mercury Dimes, 1 Rosie, a silver plated junk ring and some clad.

I seem to be in a weird slump with nickels, I haven't been able to find any old ones at all lately, although it seems they should be present at the sites I'm hunting.

Here are my finds for the day:

Here are the keepers:

Here are the Indian Heads. Unfortunately, one of the 1874s has an old injury right where the date is. The other 1874 and the 1876 look pretty good though. This photo was taken before I cleaned them, all I did was rub the dirt off with my fingers:

Here is the nicer of the 1874s:

And the 1876:

And here are the Barbers and Mercs:

What a fun day! I definitely will be spending some more time at this park! :yes:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

del
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
what a great detour Tony :clapping: :clapping: those indians are sweet and just one away from the coveted 77 . congrats on a very nice outing Tony |:cheering: |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
What a sweet haul! Those indians are pretty. :clapping:

milco
06-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Great job and a keen eye spotting that site Tony! Congrats on all the great finds! Definitely will have to make some return trips there.

Fire Fighter 43
06-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Now that is a hunt to be proud of, WTG Tony |:cheering: That 1874 Indian is in great shape, very nice.

dave in iowa
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
wow , great hunt , looks like a great spot for you to hit hard

Ill Digger
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I seem to be in a weird slump with nickels, I haven't been able to find any old ones lately at all, although it seems they should be present at the sites I'm hunting. Oh well, not a big deal.
Yeah! No biggie :rolleyes: Just four old silvers and IH's instead :envious: :poke: lol
Thats a great hunt Tony! Good thing you deided to stop and check the place out! thumbsup01
Sweet hunt!
Congrats! :grin:

Epi-hunter
06-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow, Tony! Those finds made me drool. Those are some beautiful IHs and I love the silver too! What a great day :clapping:

pulltabsteve
06-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Tony, I love the way those IHs come out of your ground. The ones I get here I can hardly make out. Great digs for the day |:cheering:

CODY
06-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Very nice finds Tony. Congrats. I bet there are a lot more waiting.

Hook
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
thats a fantastic hunt! looks like you now have a new park to hunt for a good while, no telling just what you may find. congrats! those IH's sure came out lookin good didnt they? funny how some get toasted and some dont. i found an 1888 IH that looked like new, other than being green from being buried for about a century lol.

dalewestaby
06-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Let me hunt with you sometime Tony. I want to see if my detector picks up what you can pick up. I live in La Crosse, WI, but I dont mind driving a ways thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah , that's the way to do it !!! Fantastic hunting Tony . :perfect10: :beerbuddy:

z118
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
That's a dream hunt for sure. I'd be back at that park right now if I were you! Congrats on some great digs and hopefully a new sweet hunting spot!

jkress
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow... all of your posts are dream hunts. :smitten: :clapping:
You consistently do very, very well in the parks you hunt. Successful park hunting is not an easy thing to master.

Once again, some awesome keepers you managed to get in your pocket. Congrats on the early IH's, plus the soil
you pulled them from was very kind to them. They are beauties.

The topper is the great silvers you found with them. Two Barbers, two Mercs and a Rosie would have me happy dancing.

You're having a great year Tony. :yes: Keep it up.

angellionel
06-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Great hunt Tony! :clapping: Those are some awesome finds. |:cheering: That park should be yielding you many more in future hunts. :yes:

aloldstuff
06-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Tony, good eyes spotting that park on your way to the other hunt site. Very nice hunting, 5 silvers, 4 IH's and some wheats are all great keepers. Don't fret over the nickels, they are there and you will get them.