PDA

View Full Version : CTX 3030 my thoughts after first hunt

Fire Fighter 43
06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I would first like to comment on the physical side of the CTX. The construction of the CTX is as good as it gets. Minelab defiantly put a lot of thought into the design and materials. I have been using Doc's Swingy Thingy for several years now and honestly thought I would be using it for the rest of my detecting days. Early reports about the balance and feel of the CTX were that even though it weighed 5#'s it did not feel that heavy when swinging it. I had decided that I would try my first few hunts without the aid of the Swingy Thingy so I could make my own judgement on the weight issue. I honestly thought I would need to install it on the CTX so I had contacted Doc a week before I received the CTX to see what I needed to make it fit the larger shaft. Well after my first 5 hour hunt I can say I'm not going to install the swingy thingy. When you pick- up the CTX you can tell you have 5#'s in your hand but once you get it in the swinging position it feels great. The balance is perfect and I felt no fatigue in my shoulder or arm. With the Etrac I always felt like I was fighting the weight, that is not the case with the CTX. The rest of the detector is very well made. One thing I thought was kind of cheap was the clip holder for the wireless module, but after using it I do not see it being a problem. I also had some glare issues with the screen so I adjusted the back light and it was better. The day was cloudy so I'll have to see how it is in the sunlight.

Now to the performance. My thoughts on depth are that it is as deep as the Etrac but not any better. I ran both the CTX and the Etrac in my 5 year old test garden with the standard coin program and standard coils. I have little EMI in my yard and I was able to max both detectors at 30 in Manual sensitivity. I could not tell a difference in depth. I then used the set-up I normally hunt with on the Etrac and set the CTX as close to the Etrac as I could and I still did not see any difference in depth.

I have an electronic dog fence and once I turn it on the EMI increases in my yard. I turned the fence on for the next test which was for stability around EMI. I set both detectors on auto sensitivity and used noise cancel. The CTX was running 2-3 notches higher than the Etrac. Not scientific by no means but I would say the CTX handles EMI better.

I also tried a couple of recovery test with iron and a silver coin. The CTX preformed much better than the Etrac. I had iron caps and nails in different positions around the coin and on the coin. This was all done on the surface, so you can say it was an air test. The CTX separated the targets much better and it also recovered faster between targets.

Now to my first hunt with the CTX. I used the standard coin program with only these adjustments.
Deep On
Fast Off
Target Trace On
TargetTrace Pinpoint On
Manual Sensitivity On
Response Long
I also adjusted the Threshold to my ears with maxed volume. I was using the wireless module with my ProGold headphones with the volume level controlled with the headphone knobs.

I hunted two different spots the first was an old farmhouse site that was loaded with iron. This was my first time out so I was just trying to to find a decent signal so I could play around with the settings. I managed to find a few clad coins and a token. It was probably not the best spot for my first run but I did learn enough to get me aquatinted with its sounds and settings. I then decided to head to my honey hole which is an old picnic grove that has produce many nice finds. I chose a section that I had cover once with the Etrac. I just worked it in a different direction. I started finding clad right away. most of the coins had iron in the whole with them. I tried to figure out the target trace but I still do not quite understand it. I can not comment on the depth in the field since I did not come across any targets deeper than 6 inches. I did manage to find one silver a 1916 Barber dime it was 4 inch below 2 zinc pennies and a clad dime. It first came in as 12-41 at 3 inches and when I pinpointed it was showing a surface target. After removing the clad which was less than an inch I was getting a solid 12-45 at 4 inches.

I could defiantly tell that the recovery speed was much better than the Etrac. As far as target trace is concerned I'm on the fence with this new feature. I do not quite understand it so I guess I should not comment either way until I figure it out. I also feel that the TID on the CTX was much better than the Etrac the numbers did not seem to jump around much once a good target was detected and that was with iron in the same hole as the coin.

The last thing I would like to comment on is the WM-10 wireless module. After using the V3i with wireless for a couple of years it was one thing I missed when I switched to the Etrac. There was absolutely no delay and it worked flawlessly and to be able to use my own Pro Gold headphones made it that much better.

Overall I was impressed more with the physical part of the detector. I feel once I get used to the sounds and operation of the CTX that I will be just as efficient or better with it than the Etrac. I'm happy I made the choice to change. Even if it doesn't preform any better than the Etrac I have no more wires or Swingy Thingy attached, I feel free, LOL. It is also water proof, better balanced, upgradable and overall better built than the Etrac.

randy
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Nice report Jeff. |:cheering: Thanks for taking the time to write it. Sounds like the machine will breathe life into iron-infested sites, as well as help those of us with multiple tendinitises from the E-Trac. Good luck on your next hunt, and congrats on the barber dime. Can't wait for the next installment. :->

Epi-hunter
06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the review Jeff. Makes me want to sell the v3i and get one.

I am not going to pull the trigger until there is a Sunray probe available for it, though. I can't live without the probe. :cheesysmile:

CyberSage
06-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Jeff,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this feedback on the performance of your new CTX3030! I really appreciate this information. Looking forward to more results from your future hunts, and testing. So far, I find the the better separation factor very interesting. Thanks again.

Jack

Spike
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Well thanks I think :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: now how can I get her to just understand >:{ >:{ :dontknow: :beatdown: lol How well dose GPS work? Thanks for the report thumbsup01

midas
06-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Great review, Jeff. So, there are a couple advantages over the ETrac. FeCo ID stability, separation, color screen, depth numbers.
Jeff, you should give up golf this summer and use the machine to its' max. And Angie, I talked to Sunray and there will NEVER be a Sunray probe for the CTX because of the Minelab custom chip in the coil and the proprietary waterproof connectors. It's a deal killer for me too.

Epi-hunter
06-03-2012, 01:07 PM
And Angie, I talked to Sunray and there will NEVER be a Sunray probe for the CTX because of the Minelab custom chip in the coil and the proprietary waterproof connectors. It's a deal killer for me too.

That's what Jack and Dan said too :crying02: :crying02: :crying02:

I just can't start carrying a pinpointer anymore. Plus I am too spoiled with the inline version. :-\

jkress
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Great stuff Jeff. Your thoughts were very interesting. :yes:
It will be nice to hear your experiences as you continue to grow with the machine. :->

brother steve
07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Excellent report,keep up the good work!!!