PDA

View Full Version : How deep do you go?

dalewestaby
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I fabricated my own scooper, and I'm using an ATpro with the stock coil and it seems difficult to detect. It also seems difficult scooop the target when I cant see where Im scooping. I was at shoulder depth of water for an hour straight.

HOw deeep do you go in the water? What might be an ideal depth. I was lake beach hunting and only found a 2008 penny, a soda tab, and a bottle cap. And they were tedious to retrieve.

midas
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Wade out as far as you can, usually up to my chin. The taller you are the deeper you can go. Target retrieval is indeed difficult especially if the water is not clear. There are hazards to watch for - snapping turtles, leeches, water snakes, weeds, muck, waves, horseshoe crabs, idiots on motor boats and jet skiis, etc. But all in all it's fun and can't be beat on a hot summer day.

dalewestaby
06-03-2012, 09:20 AM
SO pretty much... I should go as far as I can go, then for a signal, I should just keep stomping my scoop into the sand until I get the signal? One beer tab took my 20 tries.

midas
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
The more practice you get, the quicker you can recover the item. It only takes me 1 or 2 scoops. Please remember TO COVER THE HOLES you dig. Use your foot to kick the sand back in. and remove all the trash you find and there is quite a bit. People use the lakes and beaches as a dumping ground. I've found everything from broken bottles to razor blades.

Lowjiber
06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm hardly an expert on inland lake detecting, but will share a couple of things that apply in the ocean and may help.

1. You didn't give much detail about your scoop, but it should be sturdy enough to allow you to push it with your foot...kinda like a shovel. (There's a pic of me using mine in California below.)

Get a neodymium (rare earth) magnet about the size of a quarter with a hole in the middle for a mounting screw and place it in the bottom of your scoop. This will shorten the time recovering small targets that you might be missing underwater, as many jewelry items contain a bit of iron. (I buy mine here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/)

2. While inland lakes rarely have surf, there is often a movement of water in the shallower water near the shore due to the wind. Accurate pin-pointing is essential to cutting down dig time under water, as the water movement will cause sand to fill in the hole quickly when you remove the first scoop.

Keep your back toward the incoming water movement and try to push the scoop and remove it quickly before too much sand returns. You need to get that first scoop emptied and back in for a second try (if needed) as smoothly as possible. (I know this sounds simple, but it is critical and the technique needs practice.)

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

OBW: I wrote a reply to a member who wanted a few ocean hunting tips a while back. They might help you too. Check my post on the following thread: http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=8892.msg100273#msg100273

carl2112
06-05-2012, 11:10 AM
i too have a lot of trouble in retreiving targets from the water it usually takes me a couple scoops to get what im looking for. Ive also noticed on my AT pro the pin pointer is that accurate. i was very leary of submerging my machine under the water but since its still under warrenty i figured now is the best time to see if it lives up to the 10 feet waterproof depth. what setting do you use when water hunting with your AT pro. i laways seem to leave mine on pro coin 40 disc and nothing notched out

Fire Fighter 43
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I do not go much past waist deep. I'm fairly green when it comes to water hunting and I do it more for a change from land hunting. I use the Stealth 08 scoop which is big but you can get a nice size scoop of sand with it. Im going to rig up a basket screen to pull behind me and just dump what I scoop up into it for sorting. I think this will reduce recovery time and lessen the fatigue on my arm.

carl2112
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
A sifter baskets is a must I just made one and its awesome I have a heavy scoop and it works great as a float to rest my scoop on when I'm not digging with it. Man that's one heavy mother !!! I believe mine is a stealth too and its very durable but very heavy.

Relic Whisperer
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
First things first. If you don't have a decent scoop you are going to do a lot of Uunecessary work. I would sugested surfing craiglist for a used scoop. It needs to be very sturdy and have as big a scoop as you can afford. I have a monster scoop for the ocean. It's 4 feet long, stainless steel and has a 6 inch opening and weighs 7 pounds empty. Once you have a decent scoop then the technique for recovering is as follows. Once you get a clear tone of where you think the object is, keep your coil over that spot while sliding your foot to the back edge of the coil. Now remove the coil and dig the point of your scoop at the tip of your toes. The target is now half the diameter of your coil from your toe point and you can recover the target. There is nor real fix to the hole filling in other than to quickly check the hole and rescoop if necessary. It's just the nature of the beast. As far as depth, I really don't go more than belly button high, but others go deeper. That's more of what you are comfortable with and also your reading of the beach of where most swimmers are hanging out. Try the technique above on dry sand with a target. It's really simple and will virtually stop you from chasing your target around. Good luck on your hunts!

Celluforce
07-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Thank you Stan524 for your technique... And Lowjiber for your magnetic tip! thumbsup01

I'm not a great welder, but I'm working to design a scoop for my next summer vacation... I'll keep you informed.

Daniel <;)

CODY
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
As far as scoops. I made one out of a chicken feed scoop you get at tractor supply and an ajustable paint roller handle. Had to drill all the holes in the scoop. Used small U bolts and nuts to attach it. Wasn't too bad when I got through. But just wasn't good enough. Ended up buying one online. By the time I spent all the time and labor, I would have been better off buying the good one to start with.

milco
07-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Well that's a simple question with a simple answer, you just go where the gold is and scoop it out don't ya know! Seriously, good luck in your water hunting!

RaZR
07-28-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a float that i made out of a truck inner tube with a horse feed pan tied in the center. I drilled holes in the pan for drainage. I have small ropes that hold my long handle scoop to the tube. And can pick the whole thing up by the scoop handle. All my supplies ride in the pan. My hand scoop an icecream pail (with lid) to put all the trash in. A small Eclipse gum container for the good stuff i find. I also have a dive mask so i can submerge and dig. I melted down all the lead i have found and made a small anchor on a rope to keep the tube from hitting me in the back when the waves push it around. I usually go up to my waist as i have trouble finding alot of signals in deeper water too. I use the toe trick like Stan524 does. But in deep water it's still hard to get the target.

Here's my rig....

rehless
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
If you do not have one, get a dive mask and snorkel,
you will then be able to see what you are doing when
you go to pin point, unless the water is murky.