PDA

View Full Version : Cool relic from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake

PL8MAN
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey everyone this is a cool find I made back in 2006 in San Francisco at a job site I was working on at the time . One of the sub contractors was excavating under the building we were working in . They dug down a good 20 feet or so . As the dirt was being taken out and put off to the side I noticed something in the dirt . As I got to it another worker saw it and was trying to get to it first . I put my hands on it before him and it was mine ! I still didn't know what it was but knew it was very old . The area I was in had been burned to the ground in 1906 due to the big quake ! I was told by someone on the site that back then a iron smith had been there . As it turned out I had got one of only four of these found ! It is a 61 pound chunk of metal with horse shoes all over it ! It had been so hot from the fire of 1906 that they were all fused together ! I have thought about posting it for a long time and today I was looking at it and thought why not today ! A little piece of history that I will give to my Son some day .
HH
Glen

whammy
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey PL8Man, that is one very cool relic. Just think of the history attached to it. An amazing save. Good on ya and congratulations. Dave

Tony Two-Cent
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Interesting relic from a very tragic event in US history. I'm glad you rescued it.

aloldstuff
06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Only 4 known and you got one. Great grab out of the dirt pile. It's a wonderful piece of San Francisco history.

milco
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
What an amazing find, good eye to see that! I am glad to hear I am not the only one that looks through the dirt and construction projects!