PDA

View Full Version : A sweet first, some silver, and 14 foreign

z118
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
What a weird, sweet hunt!

I headed out this evening for my first after work hunt of 2010. It was a beautiful evening with temps in the lower 60's and very sunny. I headed for a spot that last year gave up many wheats and two silver coins - a Rosie and my first and only Barber dime. I was hopeful for maybe a little silver. Right away I started getting wheat pennies, and not too many other targets except for sparse clad. After maybe 5 or 6 wheats I was getting a bit irritated, thinking there had to be some silver in there somewhere. I got a shallow nickel tone and not thinking much of it pulled a plug. And there is was - MY FIRST BUFFALO NICKEL!!! Pretty nice too - I believe the date is 1916. Not having dug a Buff before tonight was really strting to stick in my craw - believe me, I dig nickels. I dug 1,500+ last year. So one of my goals this year was to get a Buff finally and dang it feels good to have met that goal on my third hunt of the year.

At that point I was feeling pretty good, and kept swinging along pulling more wheats and a bit more clad. I got a tone that seemed like another deep wheat but I was pleased and surprised instead to see the glint of silver in the hole. A shiny, beautiful Merc! What a sweet hunt this was proving to be!

No I was REALLY feeling pleased with things and kept on swinging when I get a big high tone that sounds like a coin but was just too big. So I poke around and out pops a big foreign coin - a 10 cent coin from the Republic of Kenya. It looked like it had been against another coin in the ground so I took another look and sure enough, out pops another. Long story short I wind up pulled FOURTEEN foreign coins from this small area as well as a Susan B dollar. They are all dated from the 60's. I feel badly for the kid that lost his coin collection but it sure was a neat find for me.

I wound up with 10 wheats altogether. Total for the hunt was 59 coins (including the old and foreign stuff) worth $5.00 even. No other items of interest other that what I assume is part of a light with the white house on it.

And THAT is the story of the amazing hunt I had today!

Beefcake
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Congrats on the silver and Buff! That is one wierd pile of coins for sure... Looks like a great hunt to me!

Epi-hunter
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
z.... that is the most unique and incredible hunt I have ever seen! :shocked04: Awesome finds... congratulations!!

z118
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks! The foreign coins are:

Two - Republic of Kenya 10 cents - 1966 & 1967
One - England New Two Pence - 1971
One - England Penny - 1967
One - England Half Penny - 1960
One - Hong Kong 50 Cents - 1960
One - Italian 10 - 1969
One - French 20 Centime - 1963
One - French 10 Centime - 1967
One - Swiss 1 Franc - 1968
One - Belgium 1 Franc - 1967
One - Duth 2 Pfennnig - 1965
One - Spanish 5 Ptas - 1957
One - Baddly corroded not sure

Kind of surprising given the years that there wasn't anything silver in there? I'm not sure what other coutries used silver or when they might have switched. I'm sure not complaining though.

coinnut
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey super hunt. Your 1916 Buffalo is in excellent shape thumbsup01 Not only did you find your first one, but it actually had a date on it. lol One of them coins, I think to the left of the German 2 Phenning is a Switzerland coin (Helvetia). I think that's Latin for Switzerland. Really unique hunt, too bad for the kid who lost his collection, but hey, it ain't lost no more lol Nice to be detecting I bet ;)

Ill Digger
03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
WOW!!! That is an amazing hunt!!! :shocked04:
Congrats on the buff!!!! thumbsup01
1916 or 1918 either way you got your self a GOOD one!!! thumbsup01
The ones I've found are all common dates...oh well. I still love'em :smitten:
You even got a little silver!!...Nice!!! thumbsup01
And here I thought I had a rare find with 2 chinesse coins today.
But 14!!!!! WOW!!!....Thats a record of some sort :yes:
Awesome hunt!!
Congrats :grin:

angellionel
03-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Great hunt, Z! That is an amazing amount of foreign coins. Finding a buffalo without a date is hard enough. That's a nice one you found. Congrats!

hoser
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Now that was a very cool hunt Z. Like you said someone lost their collection and they had to be bummed. Congrats on the buff and the silver as well.

SeabeeRon
03-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Great collection of coins buddy!! 8)