PDA

View Full Version : You Gotta See What The Girl Found!

Bell-Two
06-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Diane and I went out to a little park that at one time had an old house on it and we had a very good day. This is the second time we have been there, the first time I found a couple of wheaties, a spoon handle and part of a pocket watch case. I was hoping for better this time and man oh man it happened. The first target I dug was a clad dime and the next turned out to be my first silver since Groundhog’s day! I was silver starved and this nice 1945 Merc was a treat. I then found a Lazelle Perfumer case, sort of a compact dated 1922, I found one part of it and about 2 feet over I found the second part. Also I found an old green glass marble. Diane had not been finding much and when she called to me and I saw her give our sign for a Large Cent, followed by a hands palm up and a shake of her head. I went over and she said “I think it is a Large Cent but it doesn’t look like the other one I found.” Her previous Large Cent was a nice 1830 Large Letter variant so I wondered what it could be. I took one look and gave her a smile and said “Well it isn’t like the Matron Head you found before because this is a Draped Bust!” It turned out to be an 1805 Draped Bust with very fine detail. After cleaning it up gently and checking Sheldon’s Penny Whimsy which is a primary text on the early Large Cents it turns out it is the rarest variant of the 1805 being an S-268 variety with an R-3 rarity. It was in with a nail and some other bits of iron and you can see the tell tale marks it left on this coin. There is much detail on this coin it looks better in person than the picture. She said the signal was a bit mixed but giving her a clear 12-46 to 12-47 in her TTF program. I have to admit the girl is getting pretty good at this metal detecting game!

POKIE73
06-09-2012, 06:58 PM
i think she may have beat your merc with that find congrats to the both of you on yor finds dennis

Full Metal Digger
06-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Congrats to Diane! That coin is a beauty. HH, Dave.

nickelpicker
06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
hey Bell-Two, congrats to you and yours wish my wife shared this hobby with me. wonderful find

Tony Two-Cent
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Congrats to Diane for the beautiful draped bust large cent! It is a terrific find! :loveit:

I'm glad to hear that you are out hunting, Tony! I trust your new hip is holding up well.

del
06-09-2012, 10:49 PM
:wow: tell Diane she hit a home run with that coin :smitten: :smitten: very nice copper |:confused:) |:confused:)

Bell-Two
06-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Congrats to Diane for the beautiful draped bust large cent! It is a terrific find! :loveit:

I'm glad to hear that you are out hunting, Tony! I trust your new hip is holding up well.

Yep it is doing fine, still don't have quite the same energy level, I understand that takes a bit of time to get that back, but if Diane keeps making those kind of finds I will be prompted to hunt just a bit harder not that she rubs it in any....well not much :poke:

jkress
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
The LC is a very impressive find. :clapping:
Awesome condition for being so old. A very nice one to add to the collection.
A big congratulations to Diane. :yes:

milco
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
That's an impressive find, congrats to Diane!

Epi-hunter
06-11-2012, 04:19 AM
That is an incredible find! She is doing fantastic! Thanks for sharing and congratulate her! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
06-11-2012, 04:28 AM
What a great looking coin. I can see your point about having to hunt a little harder when your partner is getting finds like this. Tell Diane congrats and hope you get your enegy back in short time.

Fire Fighter 43
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
:wow: That is a fantastic find, WTG

Ill Digger
06-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Way to go &quot:grin:iane-girl <: :clapping:
Thats a awesome find!! thumbsup01
I think I'll be looking a looooong time before I ever find one of those :envious: lol
Congrats to ya both! :grin:

mike l
06-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Thats a beauty! thumbsup01

hockeyguy
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
What a story and find....great work and payday for the effort. She wont forget that find anytime soon!