PDA

View Full Version : 2 DAYS OF DETECTING*2 COPPERS

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Sat got out with Gary to 2 cellar holes,places were hammered! stopped at a 1750's farmhouse and talked to the owner.got the green light.not too much in the yard.a victorian era locket and a rather large bell minus the wooden handle.
Sunday got out with Jesse and hit a cellar hole.not much around cellar hole except the #2 crotal bell & a 69 cal musket ball,wandered into a adjoining wooded field and hit 2 coppers and a large tombac button.
the coppers are toasted but one is a connecticut & the other is a King George III

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2012, 05:50 PM
more pics

sniffy
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice day huntin mr.dave.....just be thankful WE found that little colonial corner....neat little 50 by 50 section of woods..

Rob L
06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Looks to me like you had a pretty good outing. Coppers are great even when they are toasted.Congrats.

aloldstuff
06-11-2012, 04:39 AM
A couple of toasted coppers is better than none. Really like the crotal and the bell.

Merc
06-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Great couple days Dave. Drew and I have yet to find coppers on the same hunt. Congrats |:cheering:

skrapman
06-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Sweet crotal bell. I really love to find them intact. Very nice hunt. :perfect10:

del
06-11-2012, 06:48 AM
hey whats with the picture of the Cow Dave ?? :confused: your not picking up dates again lol lol hey just bustin ya buddy :poke: :poke: :teasing: congrats on the coppers its good to be out of that slump huh :cheering: :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-11-2012, 07:27 AM
hey whats with the picture of the Cow Dave ?? :confused: your not picking up dates again lol lol hey just bustin ya buddy :poke: :poke: :teasing: congrats on the coppers its good to be out of that slump huh :cheering: :cheering:

yeah that's Betsy! she caught my eye from clear across the pasture! i walked up to her & said hey baby! whatcha doin tonight? her reply was...MOOOOve! so i shrugged my shoulders & walked away swingin. I don't care..her loss! :teasing:
what slump? :confused:

OxShoeDrew
06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Cool how the crotal still has the hanger on it. I've yet to find a number 2....I will refrain from any number 2 jokes. :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
06-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Congrats on the coppers and relics. WTG |:cheering: the leaf looking thing looks like an interesting item, very nice.

del
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
yeah that's Betsy! she caught my eye from clear across the pasture! i walked up to her & said hey baby! whatcha doin tonight? her reply was...MOOOOve! so i shrugged my shoulders & walked away swingin. I don't care..her loss! :teasing:
what slump? :confused:

lol lol hey i'm sorry you struck out again , its probably for the better .arn't you lactose intolerant any ways ?? :teasing:

hey thats a great petal bell Dave and one of the better designed ones , are the initials J.S. if so its probably from

Joseph Shipman

I S or J S maker's mark on petal bells.
Some with the J S mark also have an asterisk (*) in each petal.

Joseph Shipman, born 1779, died 1859. (7) He started to make sleigh bells after James North, Jr., and he completed a metal-casting apprenticeship in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. In the spring of 1800, both men worked together making sleigh bells, then in 1801 they formed separate foundries in New Britain, Connecticut. (18) Shipman's foundry operated from about 1801 to ?. (6) Bells marked with an I S are thought to be older than J S bells.

Joseph Shipman

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
lol lol hey i'm sorry you struck out again , its probably for the better .arn't you lactose intolerant any ways ?? :teasing:

hey thats a great petal bell Dave and one of the better designed ones , are the initials J.S. if so its probably from

Joseph Shipman

I S or J S maker's mark on petal bells.
Some with the J S mark also have an asterisk (*) in each petal.

Joseph Shipman, born 1779, died 1859. (7) He started to make sleigh bells after James North, Jr., and he completed a metal-casting apprenticeship in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. In the spring of 1800, both men worked together making sleigh bells, then in 1801 they formed separate foundries in New Britain, Connecticut. (18) Shipman's foundry operated from about 1801 to ?. (6) Bells marked with an I S are thought to be older than J S bells.

Joseph Shipman

interesting read Dan.thanks! it's marked oJo oSo

del
06-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Congrats on the coppers and relics. WTG |:cheering: the leaf looking thing looks like an interesting item, very nice.

that is a top to a pewter pitcher spout that was hinged in the back where the straight edge is and the the top designed piece is where you would use your thumb to pull it open.

i found one very similar to yours Dave years ago , mine had the whole spout and went over an ornate glass container.

interesting read Dan.thanks! it's marked oJo oSo

the o's are just decoration on either side of the letters , i bet its more earlier closer to 1810-1820 than later.

Ill Digger
06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a lotta BULL to me :rolleyes: :poke: lol
Nice huntin' Dave! thumbsup01
Thats the first crotal bell I think I've seen with the number on the top. I wonder what the rest of the markings are :confused: :dontknow:
Great pics as usual too :yes:
Congrats! :grin: