PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking For Advice On First Detector

td11793
06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm just getting startepuid in the hobby and I'm looking for advice on purchasing my first detector. I have narrowed my choices down to these:

Garrett Ace 250
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
White's CoinMaster Pro

I will be using it a the local beaches here on Long Island, NY as well as the parks and fields. I am leaning toward either the Teknetics or CoinMaster Pro. Just looking for advice on what would be a good choice.

Ill Digger
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
First off, Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:
As for a first detector I started out with a Whites Prizm 4 which is now the Coin Master, or the CM Pro. It's a very good entry level machine :yes: I never did any beach hunting with it. I still haven't really done any beaching ....anywhere still .....come to think of it :thinkingabout: lol So I don't know how they handle sands on a beach. Hopefully someone with a little more beach hunting experience will chime in. I know the Ace 250 is a popular machine too. Again I don't know how they do on the beaches. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :dontknow:
But welcome to AD anyways :beerbuddy:

milco
06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Welcome to AD and the hobby from north of Ill Digger in SE Wisconsin! I concur but am biased, I have a White's Coin Master, so I say go with the Coin Master Pro. I have had my Coinmaster for over a 1 1/2 and I have found it to be a very reliable and stable, simple, low cost machine. I think I have found about 40 silvers and over 150 wheats with it so far, can't go wrong for the money.

lee
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
yer mate , i have a coinmaster to and there bloody great for the money and the depth is realy good for a cheap machine.
ive found some realy old stuff up to 13 inches deep, i find the pinpointer on it to be spot on the money most of the time to.
my detecting buddy has a garrett 350 and he even says mines better.

Epi-hunter
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

You are looking at some very good detectors to start out. Any of them should do fine in terms of digging in the dirt. As for the beach, I haven't had much experience in this area personally but it seems to be true that detectors without the ability to ground balance will not do well in wet saltwater sand (the ones you are looking at would fall into that category). But they should do fine in dry sand.

Welcome to the hobby!

jkress
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist td11793 from south west of milco and west of Ill Digger. :clapping: lol I'm in Iowa.

Looks like you are considering some nice machines. :yes: I started with the Ace 250 and was very impressed with
the finds I made with it. I have also heard lots of great stuff from the Fisher line.

Your ability to research sites to hunt and obtain permission to search them will be the key to your success no matter
which of the listed nice machines you choose to purchase. :)

del
06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
welcome to the forum td11793

any of those machines you listed would be fine for normal land detecting and possibley ok for the dry beach sand but i'm pretty sure all will have a hard time on the wet sand because of the salts and black sand . they will most likely give you false targets and act some what erratic.

Dan

CODY
06-13-2012, 06:27 AM
I prefer the Fishers. Check the classifieds.

Celluforce
07-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Cody... LOL lol

Fisher? Those are cool machine ...and sometime there's some in the classified :twirlingeyes:

Daniel <;)

Jeff (or)
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Having used three of the four inland and on dry sand beaches, I can recommend the teknetics or the White's. Which ever detector you choose, learn it well and have fun detecting. Welcome to American Detectorist and the hobby. :cool:

Fire Fighter 43
07-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Those are all good detectors but if I had to choose one I would go with the Ace 250. I have heard nothing but good things about that machine. good luck.

POKIE73
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
my advice would be to buy the best one you can afford if you get a cheap one and you are serios about this hobby you will be getting a better one so if you know if you are serious it would be good to start with a good one that you could be happy with for awile dennis

SHIMMER77502
07-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forum! I can only speak for the 250 and the F2, but for a first detector that you are going to be using in multiple locations, I'd go with the 250. I hunt both land sites and the salty sands of Galveston Island, Texas. The F2 does not like wet ground or sand but does great on dry land. The chatter will make you crazy. The 250 is very user friendly and a great all round machine.

Happy hunting and let us know what you buy and what you find!

shimmer77502