PDA

View Full Version : Help with a lock found (and other goodies from today)

SafariScott
06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Got out this am and decided to hit the beach at low tide. Ended up pulling the small gold and diamond ring (14k) a couple of earrings (one silver) a blackened merc and what I believe is a beat to hell large cent. After the tide started coming in I decided to go back to the 1750 Farm House Ive been working for the last few years. The site has been great so far giving up coins as old as 1737. Last time I was there with Merc we found part of a stone pen behind another fenced in pen the odd thing was there was a well at he opening to the pen (there was already a well near the main house so this puzzled me a bit. I caught the owner of the property and said I thought it was odd there was a well down there and asked if he knew why it was there. He said it was probably due to the foundation there. My eyes lit up since I knew it didnt show on the 1870 map so my brother and I headed off into the woods and up a hill and there it was. My brothers ACE 250 was acting up so I loaned him my back up Safari with the small coil and told him to hit the foundation and a little while later he came back with an 1838 LC his first (I was very excited since I have been truing to get him into the hobby more but he hadnt found anything good yet until now) I ended up pulling this huge old lock under a good size rock and Im curious if anyone could estimate an age for this. Ill have to get back to the cellar hole in the fall it was starting to get a little dense with the greenery. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Fire Fighter 43
06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Nice digs WTG |:cheering: Sorry but I can not help with the I.D.

tanacat
06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow, I love that old lock! Oh and congrats on the gold and silver too lol

I found a good link for locks when I pulled up an Eclipse Lever from early 1900's. I think I favorited it. http://www.antique-padlocks.com/index.htm I looked a bit- it's amazing how many there are!

I'll help look for it tomorrow. :sleepy: It's very late.

If you don't find it before then :)

Very cool finds thumbsup01

del
06-12-2012, 02:40 AM
congrats on finding another site that maybe no one knew about , those are always exciting to find. very nice Lock i do know the iron heart shaped padlocks can go all the way back to the colonial era , my suggestion would be somekind of electrolysis or media blasting to locate a makers mark . sometimes they were stamed on the keyhole dust cover and sometimes just on the face somewhere.

Dan

SafariScott
06-12-2012, 08:33 AM
congrats on finding another site that maybe no one knew about , those are always exciting to find. very nice Lock i do know the iron heart shaped padlocks can go all the way back to the colonial era , my suggestion would be somekind of electrolysis or media blasting to locate a makers mark . sometimes they were stamed on the keyhole dust cover and sometimes just on the face somewhere.

Dan

Thanks Dan.......I'll try to clean it up a bit more and see if I can pull any markings.

OxShoeDrew
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Scott, good job with your bother. He's not going to want to go back to his 250 :grin: congrats on the new site. I miss this past winter :-\ perfect hunting weather :daydream:. Talk soon, Drew

tanacat
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
The keyhole is a unique shape, seems like it would be easy to find that way. I'm still looking too :) Nothing like a good ID challenge.

Merc
06-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Silver,gold,a diamond,coins, a nice old lock. This hunt encompasses everything. Great job Scott!! |:cheering:

CODY
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Sweet, congrats!