PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help ID This Bow Tie?

milco
06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I found this along with a lot of iron at a hunt a couple of weeks ago where I met up with Fire Fighter 43. The bow tie is made of brass and is about two inches wide. Can you ID this? And what is it's age? Items at this site have ranged from the 1850's to 1950's. Thanks for lookin'!

fyrffytr1
06-11-2012, 10:38 PM
What does the back look like?

Fire Fighter 43
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
You posted it, that was a cool find. I hope someone can help with the I.D.

del
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
What does the back look like?

hey Milco is it just thinly stamped brass with the reverse image on the back or is it a hollow piece and looks exactly the same on the reverse??

CODY
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
:wow: Now that is interesting! I like that. Wow! Keep us posted. Would love to know what that is. To me thats as good as finding any silver coin! Congrats!

milco
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
hey Milco is it just thinly stamped brass with the reverse image on the back or is it a hollow piece and looks exactly the same on the reverse??

This item is thinly stamped brass and there is the reverse image on the back. I cannot see any sign that it was fastened to anything else. I will post some additional pictures tonight. Thanks for lookin' everyone, I am really stumped on this one.

Full Metal Digger
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks more like a Christmas ribbon to me, but really cool either way! I hope you get an ID. HH, Dave.

del
06-14-2012, 04:18 AM
This item is thinly stamped brass and there is the reverse image on the back. I cannot see any sign that it was fastened to anything else. I will post some additional pictures tonight. Thanks for lookin' everyone, I am really stumped on this one.

it looks like an item for decoration , i see gold gilt in the recesses on the bow which tells me it was probably all gold colored at one time . i'm curious to see the back cleaned up too to see if theres any solder or brazed marks where it would be attached to something or maybe where little wire hooks held it to something.

Dan

del
06-23-2012, 07:54 PM
nice picture of the reverse Darren |:cheering: |:cheering: see the discolored area in the middle (it almost looks like two small discolored blotches is it just dirt or does it look like a greyish metal or stain. those could be solder or brazed marks where it would be fastened to something like a brooch , sash belt ect. or two little hook would be soldered there to put in into somehting like a large fancy ladies hat or somekind of wall decoration. if you use a little diluted CLR and a toothbrush on the front you'll see the gold in the recesses come out .

Dan

fyrffytr1
06-30-2012, 08:41 PM
I was searching for something else and came across this one at the bottom of the page. It is not a match but it could be a possibility. http://www.andersonmilitaria.com/Web_Pages/pstickpins/pstickpins.htm