PDA

View Full Version : purple heart Id

carl2112
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I just found a purple heart while out hunting today and would love to be able to return it to its rightful owner. So if anyone knows how I can I'd it from the serial numbers on the side let me know there's no name inscribed on the back so any help would be great thanks

del
06-15-2012, 03:23 AM
thats really cool to find but to return it is nothing short of admirable sir. |:confused:) |:confused:)

try any Veterans Administrations Office they should keep very detailed records for something like that. please keep us updated with your progress Carl

jkress
06-15-2012, 10:46 PM
What a wonderful thing to find carl2112. It would be such an honor if you could track down
the owner or his/her family.

Here would be a good place to start your research with any of the 'contacts' listed...
http://www.purpleheart.org/ContactUs.aspx

If you would like any help with the process, I'd be very happy to help. Send me a PM with
the serial numbers and I'll get right on it. :)

Epi-hunter
06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
My ex husband has been an administrator for the VA Hospitals for about 15 years now. If you run into problems with contacting the VA to get a name, please let me know. You may run into problems because of federal privacy laws. I know he would be more than honored to help.

That is one of the best finds I've seen posted.

Congratulations! :clapping: And it's fantastic that you want to return it to its owner.

CODY
06-16-2012, 02:47 AM
&quot:daydream:utstanding!!!!!

rsarge1
06-16-2012, 08:52 AM
AWESOME FIND!! like everyone said it would be great to return to it's rightful owner wtg. :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-17-2012, 09:26 AM
how freakin cool is that?! |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
06-17-2012, 04:06 PM
:wow: Very cool find, I hope you can find the owner and return it, WTG |:cheering:

Ill Digger
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
:shocked03: Now there's something you don't see posted everyday! :wow:
Good luck in finding it's owner. thumbsup01
It sounds like if you run into any snags along the way our membership here at AD :grouphug: is more than willing and able to lend a helping hand in it's return! |:confused:)

carl2112
06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Well I got an email back from The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Here is what she wrote me I'll copy and paste it

Thank you for contacting the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor regarding the Purple Heart medal you found. Unfortunately, our understanding is the
Serial numbers were not registered to the recipients so there is no way of
Tracking the rightful owner. Perhaps your local museum might be interested
in adding it to their collection?

We are a NYS facility administered by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission (like a museum) and are not directly affiliated with the federal
Government or Dept. of Defense. Therefore, we rely on family, friends and recipients to share their stories with us.

Please help us spread the word about our mission to collect, preserve and share the stories of Purple Heart recipients.

Sincerely,
The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Staff

del
06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
i find it hard to believe that theres no way to find the recipient of that medal , the military is known for its meticulous detail of record keeping. maybe Epi-hunter or Jkress can help you out .it would be a great story of goodwill to hear it got back to the owner or their family.

Dan

carl2112
06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I read something similar to that when I was doing research online for it. I think my best bet is to talk to the woman who gave me permission to hunt the church and have her see if anyone from there congregation lost it since I found it about 4 inches deep in a small strip of grass right off the walk way about 10 feet from the door

rsarge1
06-18-2012, 06:34 PM
yes the govt should be able to track it down it sounds like the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is not connected to the govt so try to contact the govt armed services and they should be able to help.

dave in iowa
07-01-2012, 01:48 AM
as a veteran , that is a noble find and you are a very noble american to try and find the one and only owner of the medal,

|:cheering:

chief5709
07-02-2012, 05:19 AM
What a great find! good luck finding the owner!

here is some info of the purple heart I found, unfortunately it may not be easy to find its owner

http://www.purplehearts.net/id6.html