PDA

View Full Version : How many Father's got Metal Detectors on Father's Day??

aloldstuff
06-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Joan and I were sitting at t he breakfast table Sunday morning and I asked this question. I sure wish that there was someway to find out. Now, how many of them will end up in the closet after a little while? And on the other hand how many new avid detectorist have been created with their new detector?

CaptKirk
06-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Well, even though I did NOT get another MD for Father's Day, I SURE thought about buying me a new E-Trac but since we need to buy a new $1800 gas range next month, I guess the new MD will have to wait awhile:shocked04:( BUMMER!!

Cheap Thrills
06-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Well, even though I did NOT get another MD for Father's Day, I SURE thought about buying me a new E-Trac but since we need to buy a new $1800 gas range next month, I guess the new MD will have to wait awhile:shocked04:( BUMMER!!

Buy a used , like new Gas Range , a used, like new , E-trac ( plenty being sold now at good prices )
buy the wife something nice , take her out to dinner and still have some bucks left over . :yes: Stick with me kid , I'll make you rich . lol Live long and prosper Captain !! :groovy:

CaptKirk
06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Sheik Yerbooty: now that's GREAT advice and I only WISH I could follow it. However, the range my wife wants is a double convection oven GE in white and there just aren't ANY around for sale in a used condition. BELIEVE ME, I'd rather not spend $1800 on a new one, but that's the one she wants and IF you knew my wife, that's the ONE we WILL be BUYING:shocked04:) Considering all the muscle cars and other toys she has tolerated me buying and selling over the 41 years we've been married, a nice new expensive range is the least I can do (we just celebrated our 41st anniversary on 6/11/12:shocked04:) I'll get that E-Trac but it will most likely be a few months from now unless I sell some of my other toys to pay for it and I really don't want or need to do that. My new Sea Hunter MarkII and new GTI-1500 will keep me busy and suffice for now AND I am going to upgrade my barely used/like new Explorer XS with a new Pro or SEF coil and try to learn how to use that detector as well. Got LOTS to do to keep busy when I retire on 7/13 - look out beaches, here I come:shocked04:)

Cheap Thrills
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Sheik Yerbooty: now that's GREAT advice and I only WISH I could follow it. However, the range my wife wants is a double convection oven GE in white and there just aren't ANY around for sale in a used condition. BELIEVE ME, I'd rather not spend $1800 on a new one, but that's the one she wants and IF you knew my wife, that's the ONE we WILL be BUYING:shocked04:) Considering all the muscle cars and other toys she has tolerated me buying and selling over the 41 years we've been married, a nice new expensive range is the least I can do (we just celebrated our 41st anniversary on 6/11/12:shocked04:) I'll get that E-Trac but it will most likely be a few months from now unless I sell some of my other toys to pay for it and I really don't want or need to do that. My new Sea Hunter MarkII and new GTI-1500 will keep me busy and suffice for now AND I am going to upgrade my barely used/like new Explorer XS with a new Pro or SEF coil and try to learn how to use that detector as well. Got LOTS to do to keep busy when I retire on 7/13 - look out beaches, here I come:shocked04:)

You're absolutely right !! The oven she want's is the least you can do . Congrats on on 41 yrs. of marriage and your upcoming retirement .43 yrs. for us and both retired and very happy and thankful to have accomplished both . Enjoy !! |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
06-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Just on the same note......I got my 1st new Harley after I bought my wife a new dryer lol

CaptKirk
06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
aloldstuff: yep, that's the same logic that I'm thinking with regards to me getting an E-Trac!!! Wife will NOT be as miffed with me, especially after I buy her the range. Since I currently have 4 detectors, telling her I NEED another one just isn't going to fly otherwise, IMHO:shocked04:) We're selling our Indiana mini-farm and once escrow closes, which should be in a few weeks, we MAY get some money back from the sale which I MAY be able to pilfer on an E-Trac. There are several of them on Ebay right now in the $800 - $1100 range and that's not too bad, I think. Will just have to forge ahead with my current detectors until I can get the E-Trac:shocked04:)

aloldstuff
07-10-2012, 07:16 AM
All of your choices seem great to me. I do believe that the At Pro is waterproof, I am not sure of the others. There is a bunch of info on this forum and others that will help you make your decision. Welcome to the madness

Celluforce
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I didn't do the great move, but I replaced my 1100 for a 2200... Thank you to Canadian Tire!

They took back my 1100 (that I find out this morning, was a repacted and put on the self before my wife bought it...) and I replaced it for a 2200 that was in sale this week... It cost me 50$ for this upgrade and still have 90 days to try it. (Wish Canadian Tire to start selling 3300 within 90 days) :cheesysmile:

I can feel the upgrade right away! Coil is one inch larger and I gain in depth. There is a better discrimination (4 tones instead 3 and 9 segment instead of 3) and some options... Notch and ZAP options... So, I'm learning to operate a new one for now... ;) I did a quick run around the house to find out that the 1100 didn't pick everything... :embarrassed: I'm anxious to go back on the local beach & park... :grin:

The only thing missing on this one is the ground balance (3300 has it)... I don't know exactly what will be the difference between an auto GB and the advantage to have a maual GB... The other thing that was looking for, for my next MD, is to have a waterproof MD to bring it in the water while snorkeling...

You are right about the AT Pro underwater hunting capability up to 10 feets... It's ranked first in my list. :callme:

Daniel <;)

aloldstuff
07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
My V3i has autotrac and manual ground balance. I have always used the autotrac.

Celluforce
07-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks Aloldstuff

...I gained more experience on my 2200. Got a dollar coin , a 1987 loony, saturday morning on a short visit to the park (less then an hour). My Discovery 2200 did chatter a bit an I had to lower the sensitivity to minimum. Found a lot of trash...

I must say it's a bit confusing for the discrimination, because most of the recent canadian coinage are in pure nickel (1968 to date) or steel plated in nickel and it seems that they fall in the low/mid tone with iron & pulltabs.

This morning, after my night shift, I will go for a short run at the local park...

Daniel <;)

My V3i has autotrac and manual ground balance. I have always used the autotrac.