PDA

View Full Version : Cool Dinosaur Token today

Beefcake
03-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I hunted another house that I have previously hit before with my DFX. Still no silver...didn't find any with the DFX either...hmmm. I used the modified program and was still finding more iron nails/screws/bolts/ than coins. I pulled a few quarters and a couple of dimes and one wheat penny. I also found a really neat looking compact lid from who knows when..but it has a neat acorn on it....I did find this neat token. It is a dinosaur token from 1974 - 1976 that was in Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa pebbles. I had to do a double take when it was in the hole until I picked it up... nice and silvery...tooooo light in weight... made of aluminum. It's about the size of a silver dollar and has a dinosaur family tree on the back. I believe there were originally 8 to be collected. This one had a run in with a lawnmower, but I thought it was neat... nothing a hammer can't straighten out. So, my quest for silver continues and I'm getting a bit frustrated with all this iron. I started out with the modified program/pattern and eventually went back to the factory coin setting. I still found 5 nails/screws/bolts with the factory... I'm dying for a really good 12 -45 or above.

CyberSage
03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Cool finds Beef! Hey shouldn't your Avatar have a picture of you and your new ET? I think that is your problem right there. Your still flash'in that ol DFX. :poke:

Jack

SeabeeRon
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Neat stuff Beef!! :yes:

angellionel
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
That is a neat token. :yes:

Beef, are you digging targets that are hitting with a consistent 25 - 27 Fe? Are they also pinpointing shallow? :confused: That's going to be iron just about every time. A good deep target, like a silver coin, will have the Fe bouncing, but will not remain in the 25 - 27 range. There will be no mistaking a shallower silver coin for iron. It seems that Conductive Tone ID may not be your ticket. Have you tried Ferrous?

Beefcake
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
No I haven't... I am mostly responsible for digging the iron, because at this point, I'm still getting use to the readings. I have dug several of those tones when the Fe skips around a bit... alot of them were in the range you said with a Co in the 40's... It's strange, they will bounce fromthe 12, 13 15 then up into the twenty's... I did start to ignore the ones that kicked up into the 24ish range... I'm not rally sure how to switch from listening to Fe/Co... care to give a quick lesson? Jack, maybe you're right! That could be it... now I just need someone near me to snap an action pic of this flabby facade....

angellionel
03-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm not rally sure how to switch from listening to Fe/Co... care to give a quick lesson?

I'm not sure what you mean. :confused: If in reference to using Ferrous tones, just go to your menu and select it instead of Conduct. Perhaps also make use of four tones instead of Multi. George uses it quite effectively in his cellar hole hunts where iron tends to be a challenge.

Epi-hunter
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Switching to Ferrous sounds means that the tones will be dependent on the FE number rather than the CO number like they are now, using Conductive. The benefit is that you won't get the iron high pitched falsing... the downside is that it will be hard to distinguish between the various good targets by tone, since on the E-Trac, most good targets come in around 12 FE.

Just a slightly different opinion... I would stick with CO if I were you. You haven't used a Minelab before and it's very different from a DFX. Give yourself some time... I think you are doing fine. Maybe focus, for now, on targets that are more shallow... say, five inches or less. As Angel said, there will be very little number jumping on coins in that range, and the tones are very solid. That will give you a chance to get used to the tones and the numbers. Then start dealing with the deeper, iffier targets. Just a suggestion. :)

hoser
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Cool finds Brian. Your right a little hammer work and the token will live again. Hang in there buddy. You're in the same boat as me with this machine. We both have a lot of learning to do. But it WILL happen. :yes: :drool:

Beefcake
03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Angie. I like the different tones that I'm hearing, it's just a matter of getting use to it and having to dig my share of iron and knowing when it IS iron rather than just digging to find out what I'm hearing... On a good note, I have found a couple of coins in the same hole with iron. I guess I should remind myself too that I have only hunted sites so far that I've pounded with my DFX... I guess it isn't proper to assume that there was that much missed by the DFX, which is a fine detector in its own right. I need to get onto a virgin property to give it a fair chance I suppose.

leslie(nova scotia)
03-19-2010, 03:50 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....not everyday one finds a prehistoric creature......neat!

angellionel
03-19-2010, 07:03 AM
No I haven't... I am mostly responsible for digging the iron, because at this point, I'm still getting use to the readings. I have dug several of those tones when the Fe skips around a bit... alot of them were in the range you said with a Co in the 40's... It's strange, they will bounce fromthe 12, 13 15 then up into the twenty's... I did start to ignore the ones that kicked up into the 24ish range...

I too took some time to dig many targets, including iron, the first few times out with the E-Trac, and it did help me greatly. :yes: When using Conduct Tone ID, iron can initially be a pain, but you will eventually start to identify it. Keep in mind the following when you come across a very high pitched tone (it will seem screechy compared to silver):

1) Does the target disappear or pinpoint off from where the discriminate mode indicated it would be? Is it also pinpointing relatively shallow? Then you can rest assure it is iron.

2) Are the Fe numbers consistently hanging around the high 20's (I'm assuming you have the numbers open to about 27)? Does the tone become somewhat subdued when pinpointing, while discriminate mode sounds off strong? Then I'm certain it will be iron. A good target, such as a silver or copper coin will sound off strongly in both modes. :)

3) A deep coin will tend to have the Fe numbers bounce between 12 and 24, and it will pinpoint on the same location both in discriminate and pinpoint mode. The tone, even though high pitched, will seem pleasant compared to the tone produced by some iron, which will seem annoyingly grating. lol

I hope that helps, BC. :)

Ill Digger
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
First off Congrats on your finds Brian!!
Second I had a friend loan me a SE to try out .He's got himself a new V3. But I haven't touched it because I don't know where to start. I'm wondering if I can take any of this disscussion in to use, in an attempt to make a run with his SE? :confused:
Thanks Tim

Beefcake
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Angel... You the man... first two questions...Yes and Yes... You nailed it exactly! I have noticed a fading pinpoint that sometimes I will switch back from disc to pinpoint just to get it after it fades... Glad to know that is iron! On some of them, it's a good strong signal and pinpoint will usually hop about 3 in one direction... Iron also! I can't wait to actually get a really good semi deep quarter or dime signal (~6 or so) to give me something to go by. I've seemed to have hit these sites better than I had thought with my DFX. A virgin yard will help me out too. I hope these posts and questions have not got annoying, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Hopefully they will help out others too. I also have to remember that I may be a seasoned detectorist, but I'm a total novice to the minelabs... I need to be more patient with myself...after all, It took me a good couple of months to get a good grasp of the DFX...This ET deserves at least the same. First silver will certainly build my confidence too!

angellionel
03-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Angel... You the man... first two questions...Yes and Yes... You nailed it exactly! I have noticed a fading pinpoint that sometimes I will switch back from disc to pinpoint just to get it after it fades... Glad to know that is iron! On some of them, it's a good strong signal and pinpoint will usually hop about 3 in one direction... Iron also! I can't wait to actually get a really good semi deep quarter or dime signal (~6 or so) to give me something to go by. I've seemed to have hit these sites better than I had thought with my DFX. A virgin yard will help me out too. I hope these posts and questions have not got annoying, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Hopefully they will help out others too. I also have to remember that I may be a seasoned detectorist, but I'm a total novice to the minelabs... I need to be more patient with myself...after all, It took me a good couple of months to get a good grasp of the DFX...This ET deserves at least the same. First silver will certainly build my confidence too!

That's one of the things the forum is for, BC, so that we all can learn from each other. :yes: You will get the hang of the E-Trac, I'm sure of it, but like you said, you will have to give it some fair time. :)

coinnut
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I did find this neat token. It is a dinosaur token from 1974 - 1976 that was in Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa pebbles. I had to do a double take when it was in the hole until I picked it up... nice and silvery...tooooo light in weight... made of aluminum.

Hey Beefcake, I can honestly say I can relate to that experience lol Mine was at a colonial cellar hole about 4 or 5 deep. Solid half/dollar hit. Deep enough for me to say hmmm? I dug carefully and I didn't see it until I flipped the dirt out onto a pile. There it sat, with only the reeded edge showing :shocked04: My heart was pumpin' lol I thought This is it, I've finally found a Draped Bust Half Dollar rofl Who's the moron that puts a reeded edge on a cereal token for crying out loud :crazy: I was so let down when I pulled it out. I just can't help thinking some other detectorist planted this so that I could find it. This site was hunted very hard and I couldn't believe I had such a good signal. Now I'm thinking it was a joke. :bangahead01: You can never know what's gonna show up. That compact case top you found, did it have a hinge part? Because it almost looks like some horse rosettes I have found. The bach side would confirm if it was a rosette. Nice hunt thumbsup01

z118
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I got a dino token last year... had me going for a second, but not as much as the Lucky Charms one next to it. Top row in the pic.

Nice digs!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
nice job beef! keep working with it.i couldn't handle my dfx lol so i sold it :confused:
seeing silver in the hole always gets my blood pumping.but hey....it coulda been but wasn't.you'll get your silver soon i bet!
yeah like george said look at the back of that acorn thingy.if it has whiteish lead coloring..then George nailed it as a rosette!

Beefcake
03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
There is a small area where the hinge would have been and it is hollow just like all the other compacts I've found. The inside still has some of the shiny gold coloring inside. There isn't any place for it to be attached to anything...I'm pretty sure it is a compact and one of my neater looking ones. What's the odds of finding the same kinds of tokens like that.... Sure do give you a tickle in the stomach when you see that reeded edge don't they:huh: I found a site that deals with cereal memorabilia and there is a collector group out there that look for the different variations of those tokens. Neat find... The pic didn't work Z

coinnut
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
There is a small area where the hinge would have been and it is hollow just like all the other compacts I've found. The inside still has some of the shiny gold coloring inside. There isn't any place for it to be attached to anything...I'm pretty sure it is a compact and one of my neater looking ones.

Great looking compact. It is one of the nicer ones I have ever seen.

What's the odds of finding the same kinds of tokens like that.... Sure do give you a tickle in the stomach when you see that reeded edge don't they:huh:

Yea, More than a tickle when I saw the edge lol I thought for sure large, old silver rofl What a dummy :rolleyes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Great looking compact. It is one of the nicer ones I have ever seen.

Yea, More than a tickle when I saw the edge lol I thought for sure large, old silver rofl What a dummy :rolleyes:

ah G ya left out the other experience ya had with a BIG Y token rofl :tongue: dan planted that one!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup01

z118
03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
The pic didn't work Z

hmmm... I can see it... can anyone else?

coinnut
03-23-2010, 08:14 PM
hmmm... I can see it... can anyone else?

See what:huh: rofl Yea Z, I can see it too. Some computer security settings may block it though. But I see it fine.

Beefcake
03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I see it now that I switched over to the other computer...the one that doesn't make the reply box go goofy on me...