PDA

View Full Version : A pair of eyes to a story or hope.

p52ntwrk
06-21-2012, 02:55 AM
i want to start by saying thank you to all forum members for lending a community where i feel welcome.

I was desperately in search of a hobby to lift my spirits and in this pursuit of happiness ive attempted many things, diving, photography, gaming, among others, ive been an avid fisherman before metal detecting, the mentality of fishing for fishing and not fish has served me well in metal detecting.

working two jobs as a courier and in the bar business after my home went upside down three years ago. To cope with the stress i developed a drinking and drug problem, both have contributed in part to my current situation. i have created tension in my family lost man friends, turned away helping hands. and until recently refused assistance. anyone can admit that its hard to accept help, its hard to admit failure and its even harder to let your younger brother help you even though hes the only one on your side.

ive spent over two years unemployed living off my nest egg, until a friend of mine needed some help putting up a fan. then i spotted a metal detector in his shed behind shovels and a post digger.
he willingly gave it to me free of charge, and i went out the very next day and found that elephant on my profile picture, it has since vanished and i dont know what to make of it whether it has been stolen changed hands or misplaced i liked it while it was mine. i actually get out of the house i go and do this i stick with it i enjoy it. i didnt stop after the first few time, this surprised me. before this i spent hours in front of the television, drinking beer, sleeping or surfing the internet.

Even though i dig mostly junk and as im learning its probably because my detector is low quality, i have enthusiasm and i dig every thing, so if you decide not to dig something because it sounds like shredded cans or bottle caps. just know ill be right behind you taking care of that signal so you never hear it again.

i recently made two friends from detecting one a park manager who loves me for cleaning the park and returning items of historical value to the office, and a fellow detector who said i can hunt with him anytime. everyone is so accepting of this hobby, law enforcement love you, all authority figures do, little kids ask you funny questions. i dont feel like the goofy guy at all.

i do not know how much of a roll this has played in my life apart from past time and enjoyment.
i am still unemployed, i still drink alcohol, and still have a few bridges that need repairing

i found something i truly enjoy and i will tell you that because of this i strongly believe good things have happened, i am six months 21 days clean and only drink once or twice a month. i am close to owning my own RV and get some odd jobs here and there with two hundred a month from the government for food. i even found enough change to help me renew my drivers license.

idle hands are the devils play toy. without this metal detector i would be in trouble.
if theres any word of wisdom to pass my lips they would be try try try and try again until you find a tune that pleases your ear.

Epi-hunter
06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Hi Barry - first let me say that I'm sorry you lost that brass elephant. But what a great find! You will never forget it.

Thanks for your post and honesty. Your post is one of the best ones I've read about how metal detecting positively affected a life. It's a great story of hope and I thank you for sharing it. This truly is a wonderful hobby and I think many of us feel that it has had an incredible impact on our health and lives. Hopefully this community has as well. :yes:

del
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Barry it takes tremendous courage and honesty to admit to personal short falls and it is a great step toward self help and growth , i truely admire that in a person . we all need somekind of crutch or a way to escape from time to time and hobbies can be a very constructive way of getting that . i would like to commend you on staying straight for over 6 months and hope you found a hobby that can replace that need in your life .

Dan

lee
06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
mate your a trooper :boxing: all respect to ya and keep digging those pull tabs, coz sooner or later ya know its gona be a gold ring with a massive diamond.

whammy
06-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Barry, your just a youngster, but you are ahead of a lot of people by opening up like you have. Congratulations on being clean for 6 months. Its a hard thing to go through, but the end results will stay with you for your entire life. Glad to hear that detecting has opened new doors for you. You will find that there is a bunch of great people doing the same as you and having a ball with their detectors. Keep up the good work and I hope you find gold and silver in the near future. thumbsup01

CODY
06-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Barry, thats awesome! Congrats on staying clean for the six months. I wish you all the luck with your future. I am not going to sugar coat this for you. I see this every day, it has touched my family several times. ITS TOUGH to beat my friend. But, the main thing, its not impossible. The only one that can do it is you. The metal detector will be a great help with getting things off your mind. I used a bicycle when I was going through a tough time. I just pedaled till I was too tired to think. Ha! There is one main thing that has helped me through all my rough spots. I will send you a PM with that word. Again, congrats, good luck, and HH.

jkress
06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Stay tight my friend... you are on the right path. :)
Congratulations to you. :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I've very happy for you and wish you the best going forward. Keep it up..... but you can stop digging those large cans now lol